Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: H-4 I beams  (Read 4294 times)

f150bft

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
  • "Never argue with a fool" in North East Tennessee
    • View Profile
H-4 I beams
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »

I had a thought that I wanted to run by those who are familiar with the 3 grate H-4 set up. You know that dead space between the I-beams and the side walls? I was thinking that I drill out the I-beams and put several holes in the vertical part to let the sides breath so the wood that falls down in this dead space would have a chance to burn also. Anyone tried this yet? I cleaned mine out the other day and there was large chunks of unburned wood in there. I thought this can't be a good thing. What are your thoughts? Can you see any reason this won't work?
Husqvarna Rancher 460
Homelite Super XL
1992 F150
1970 Wheel Horse Raider 12
1966 Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger
2009 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic
N.E. Tennessee

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: H-4 I beams
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:57:47 PM »

The space between the I beam and firebox on mine is full of ash. I actually never clear it out. I really should clean it out in the summer time but I dont :-[. I would let yours fill up with ash and leave it for the season.

f150bft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »

Will it not be a bad thing if the ash mixes with moisture/creosote? I am not getting the fine powdery ash as some are describing, it has chunks in it and some are kinda big. I have had it burning for about 2 months now and have cleaned it out(ash pan) several times. After reading on here some are stating they only clean theirs out maybe 3 times a season and its fine ash. Should I let the ash stay in the pan longer? Still learning.......
Husqvarna Rancher 460
Homelite Super XL
1992 F150
N.E. Tennessee

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »

My stuff that is between the I beams and the firebox has almost solidified and turned into a solid chunk of hard ash at this point. It keeps any wood up in the firebox at the same level as the grates. I don't let my ash build up to high below the grates where you normally clear it out. My reason or this is that it seems if a mound is built up in the middle which happens the most than the combustion air is deflected upwards at this point and only the wood towards the back of the firebox burns well. Also if it gets to high hot coals will warp the grates. One last this is that I recently put a piece of expanded metal down on top of the grates. This has helped immensely in keeping the hot coals up top instead of them falling down below and not helping to start the new logs burning when I load them. 

f150bft

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 05:33:14 PM »

Expanded metal?....not sure what you mean. Is it like a thick screen type metal?
 So what do you think about the holes in the I beam? Good idea or not? I think as long as the holes aren't too big, if it doesn't work I could still let it build up like you said.
Husqvarna Rancher 460
Homelite Super XL
1992 F150
N.E. Tennessee

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »

You could try that but I really think that you should just let it fill up. If you drill holes I believe it would help get air flow and would burn up the logs instead of them just smoldering down there. This is what I am talking about with the expanded metal http://www.wiremesh-yld.com/images/Flattened-Expanded-metal-1.jpg    You can pick a 12x24 piece which fits perfect over the grates up at tractor supply for $15.

DaveWertz

• OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »

The ash on the sides of the I beams act as a insulator. I clean mine out once a yr. Once it starts to pile up let it be, just stir it up once in a while to burn the chunks left behind. You can also move coals around to the sides when you have enough ash built up so you can get more of an even burn.
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

f150bft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »

Dave, shouldn't the ash be burning on the sides too? I think that the "hole" Idea would be a good thing. More fire/heat touching the sides which is probably the coolest part of the firebox temperature wise.
Husqvarna Rancher 460
Homelite Super XL
1992 F150
N.E. Tennessee

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »

It cant be a bad thing by any means to see what happens drilling the holes. To be honest I dont think that the ash burning on the sides will make much of a difference. I keep the ash level to the tops of the I beams, then just spread the coals around the whole fire box instead of keeping them contained in the center, this give it an even burn thewout the box. Not sure if holes will help or not? Worth a shot. But I always hear people ask how to remove ash between the I beam and the firebox, there is no way to get it all out unless you dont have a fire going and can crawl inside to clean the out. Thats how I did it. If you look in any hardy manual it tells you to keep that ash there to act as an insulator. Does it really help? I really dont know. I would think so... If it does help though I would give it a shot. Once you get a good bed of fine ash along those beams you wont have problems with it getting clumpy. Just stir it once a day to burn everything up until you have a nice ash bed for the wood to lay on.
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

f150bft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »

Didn't get a manual with the stove, but i have looked at it online but that was just to figure out how things hooked up. Is there not water on the sides of the stove all the way down to the bottom? I may be overthinking, which I do a lot, it seems that if the dead space could burn also then it would help with the transfer of heat?? I think I will go back and read the entire manual. I'm sure there are tips in it that could help me to understand more of how it works. The six grate system would not have this area would it? I hope I'm not coming across as bothersome on this subject. As always I thank you and appreciate all the ideas and opinions. 
Husqvarna Rancher 460
Homelite Super XL
1992 F150
N.E. Tennessee

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 08:15:18 PM »

To be honest I dont know if the 6 grate system would? I have only come across ones with 3 grates or shaker grates? Got me thinking now!
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

dark_knite03

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »

This spring when i shut mine down for maintenance. I believe I'm going to fill the area with sand ala Heatmor setup.  Will act as an insulator and keep ashes and such from building up down there.