Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will the water be hotter...  (Read 5893 times)

rt014

• Training Wheels
  • Essex County, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Will the water be hotter...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 05:42:33 PM »

I'm running a new Central Boiler e2400.  It is 100 feet from the house.  1" pex that is also slipped into black 6" conduit piping.  I'd say it is buried on average about 3'.  I live in the Adirondacks, so pretty cold.  I'm losing 15 degrees from the boiler to my basement. I have those round analog thermometers that Central Boiler sells in a tee measuring input and output temperatures.  So if my OWB is at 190, it hits the house at 175 and is usually at 155 leaving the house.  Does this seem like a lot of heat loss from OWB to house?

1" pex but is it insulated?  Is it 3 wrap, 5 wrap, soft foam, closed cell foam (logstor, rahau, thermopex)?  Do you know what brand the underground line is?  Do you have snow melt over the buried line?

It is Thermopex.  But I haven't noticed any melt above the lines.  2491 was the part number next to Thermopex on the invoice from the dealer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:45:03 PM by rt014 »

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 04:29:32 AM »

I think your temp readings are off.  I think you'd have snow melt if you actually lost 20 degrees in 100 feet.  That would be 40 degrees round trip in temp loss.  Others on this site know more than me though but I doubt you are losing more than a degree as thermopex is good stuff.
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 07:17:13 AM »

Well I have some good news! I moved my thermocoupler to the brass fitting where the supply goes into my coil in the furnace, I was surprised at the results. The water temp maxed out at 182 and the furnace shut off. Now according to that my Honeywell aquastat is right on, I have it set on 180-185 it's kind of hard to see exactly what it's on on the cheap dial. Now I believe my screw in thermometer is off, at least I know I'm not losing a lot of heat in the ground. If I'm losing anything it's only a couple degrees of any. I'm going to the great Harbor Freight today and I'm going to look for a laser thermometer and a moisture meter. I'm going to also get batteries and check the supply and return on my coil.. Either way I'm happy with the results! I'll post on here when I get the reading of the return.. Thanks for all of the info, I didn't know it was that hard to get a reading on the lex. I also isolated the point on the fitting to help with the true reading.
Michael West
Central Ohio

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »

Good news!! I usually have a hard time getting an accurate reading with the infrared thermometers.  Unless you have somewhat of a reference, it will be hard to tell if you are getting a good reading or not.  Duct tape or electrical tape usually helps me with my readings.  The meat thermometer with a little bit of heat transfer paste has worked the best for me. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »

Will it be ok to run it at 182?
Michael West
Central Ohio

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 05:14:18 PM »

Sure!  Watch your temps after a cycle though to make sure the temp doesn't creep up too much after your blower shuts off.  I wouldn't let it go above 190. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter
Pages: 1 [2]