Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My New and improved H2  (Read 9596 times)

dumbodog00

• View Profile
Re: My New and improved H2
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 09:05:02 AM »

Has the new insulation helped the time between feedings?  I would like to modify mine at some point if it is worth it.  Weather hasn't been as cold as usual here.  Don't know where your weather is like and wheather you can notice a difference.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 03:46:20 AM »

Yes it has made a difference, Given the same temp last year I would get an 8 hour burn and this year it is 12 hours. It may go a little better than that but it works out that I can feed it at 12 hour intervals. I do over work this little H2 but it does a great job. In warmer weather (35 to 50) it will go 18 hours now and last year it would only make it about 12. 
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

slosh250

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »

Explain over working it for us if you would, my father in law is on his 4th season with his, heating 1600 sq ft shop, 1000 sq ft house and his hot water. Man does he go through the wood. Seems like everytime i call him he's cutting wood to fill the stock pile. Have seen snow sit on top of his hardy in the winter and only melt around the stack and the other pipe. Maybe he's feeding it to much green wood? He was curious to see what you had done with yours and how it has helped.

Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »

I run from the owb about 230 feet to the house (about 1900 sq ft) through the heat exchanger then back 220 feet to the garage (1800 sq ft) through another heat exchanger then about 30 feet back to the owb. Also another set of lines for the hot water. I didn't know any better at the time and used 3/4 inch pex. This year I removed the stainless steel and 1.5 inch insulation and framed (with treated wood) and put 9 inches of iso insulation (3 layers of 3 inch) on it and then metal to match my garage/shop.
Southern Indiana

slosh250

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »

I understand now, i bet it loves wood. Thats a long pull on 3/4. Guess if we all knew now what we didnt know then life would be a lot easier wouldnt it. Thats why i am reading almost every post on the owb's to learn from other people so i can get a good setup that will hopefully last me a long time, maybe it will pay off

MLK337

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »

I also have a hardy in need of new insulation. do you have any more step by step pic you'd be willing to share

Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »

I didn't take to many pics but I will see if I can find the ones I did take and post them.
Southern Indiana

MLK337

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »

Looks like you framed around it using treated lumber. Using that frame to suport the insulation then attached metal to that frame also. very nice going to have to try this one myself.

Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:31 AM »

Looks like you framed around it using treated lumber. Using that frame to suport the insulation then attached metal to that frame also. very nice going to have to try this one myself.

That is what I did, my next mod is to put a new chimney on it and drop it down into the firebox a few inches so the heat can't go straight out the top.
Southern Indiana

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »

I insulated my entire new construction home with reclaimed ISO board. It had holes in it from its previous life so I had a spray foam contractor flash an inch over the top of the entire install. 3" is r-22 so you are not loosing anything if your install is tight. I believe 3" is well over $30 a sheet new.

MLK337

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »

can you show us a pic of the finshed stack pipe  :post:also wanting to see how you did the back opening.
Pages: 1 [2]