Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Likes and Dislikes of Hardy's  (Read 3344 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
Likes and Dislikes of Hardy's
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »

This is my first post to this forum.  I hope to find valuable legitimate information here, not "paid" information from furnace companies.  I have been researching OWB's and have narrowed my list down.  I was curious for those that had/have hardy's what your likes and dislikes are.  I've heard some compare OWB shopping like car shopping.  Most are pretty good but you have Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota guys that have their preference.  I would like somebody to sell me on the hardy versus some of the other brands.  Particulary the Shaver 250 and the Hawkin HE 2100 versus the Hardy H4.  Those are three that I am currently looking at.  I am looking for honest feedback on the pros and cons of each of the three of these.  Since this is a hardy thread, I only expect comments on the hardy but if you want to share experiences with the other 2 great.  I plan on posting on those threads as well.  Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: Likes and Dislikes of Hardy's
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »

First off Welcome to the site chadley, I have a H2 that I got that had been used and abused. It is a 1991 model and I had to replace the pump and aqustat when I installed it last year. I overworked it and it did a great job. This year before heating season I re insulated it and it works even better.
My son in law has the H4 and has had it for  6 years with no issues. His was bought new and they love it. I do like it because I don't feel the need to check the water or add chemicals.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »

I have a H2 and like the simpleness of it.  Everything is in the back, which makes it easy to get to.  I like the grate system that blows air under the wood.  Ashes fall away underneath and are easily removed.  I believe other brands the ashes lay where the wood burns.  If you don't mind the look of the stainless, it never dulls and you will not scratch color off it like other units.
   There are some things I don't like.  I wish the size of the door would be bigger.  It has a decent sized wood box, but the size of your rounds is limited by the size of the door.  Also, I feel it could be insulated better than it is.  While I don't have anything to compare to, others that have put additional insulation on have reported longer times between feedings.  I also wish there was a better way to extend the chimney higher than a couple pipes.  I am sure there is, but it is difficult rigging single wall pipe without some kind of extensive bracing so it won't fall.  Other brands use double wall pipe that is easier to extend.  Also, with the chimney coming out of the center vs. the rear, it makes it harder to brace if you want to go up.
   These are the things that come to mind. If you have any questions let me know.

BIGDIESEL20S

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »

I have an H2. This is my first season with it but so far I love everything about it. I like the fact that it is quit simple in every way, and it had an ash clean out. I dont like digging through fire coals to get the ashes out. I have never been around any other brand so I cant really compair it to anything else. I done alot of reading about OWB before I bought mine. Every brand I could think of, checking all dealers I could find, all web sites I could find in fact thats how I found this site. But alot of what helped me in my dicision was this site and the fact that after I got to doing some asking around, alot of people I know have a hardy and the newest one being 12 years old running 24/7-365 with no fails to date!! The fact that there is a few dealers vary close by ment alot to me since if somthing was to fail with the stove it would be my luck that it would happen on the coldest night of the season. It made me feel safer with 3 shelfs with parts on them so close to me. Good luck with your choice!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:49:26 AM by BIGDIESEL20S »
2002 F250 SUPER DUTY 4X4
1994 CHEVROLET S-10 4X4
HOME MADE 20 TON SPLITER
STIHL: 009, 011, MS250, 026, MS260, 028 SUPER,  028FARMBOSS, 029 SUPER, 031, 031 SUPER, 066.
176 ACERS HALF WOODS
HOME MADE PICKUP BED TRAILER
801 FORD POWERMASTER
B414 ITERNATIONAL
H FARMALL

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:02:54 AM »

BIG,

I agree with the dealer being close.  I'm pretty sold on the hawkens and the dealer is close to me as well. I like that for the same reasons you do.  I've been checking a bunch like you did and people are pretty down on the stainless steel especially if you have radiant heat floors.  That's what steered me away from the Hardy's. They were running a close second behind the hawkens.  We'll see which route we go.  Haven't made a choice yet and don't look to install until this summer or early next fall to be ready for next winter.