Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: H2 baffle ?  (Read 3714 times)

buddylee

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
H2 baffle ?
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »

I believe the larger units have a baffle.I'm thinking of adding a baffle to try and increase the efficiency some. Since welding one on would void my warranty, I'm thinking of rigging one in. My idea is to have a steel rod going down thru the stack with a peice of flat steel welded on the bottom and a peice of rod on the other end of it to allow the stack to support it. Does this make sence ? Any comments or ideas ?

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: H2 baffle ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »

The way the hardy are set up I'm not sure that it would help or not...  If you could extend a pipe through the top down into the firebox about a foot it would make a difference, but with the large fan I'm nit sure it would help to block off part of it
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Bull

• OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »

Welcome to the site buddylee, my son in law's H4 has the plate just below the stack like you said. I understand what you are describing and it is worth a try. If you do it report back and let us know if it helps.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

m-44

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: hardy
  • OWF Model: h-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »

never looked inside a h-4, how big is the baffle in them? and how far is it below the stack?

Bull

• OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:51:04 PM »

His looks like about 1/4 inch plate maybe 12 inches by 12 inches that lays on some L clips about 4 inches from the top rite under the stack. This is from memory and I didn't measure it.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

slosh250

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »

Have seen the h4 baffle before, wonder if its their way of increasing the btu's? I also thought about running the pipe through about 10-12 inches and see what it does. Just would have to fix it where it wouldnt leak out. Does anyone think it would get to hot in the firebox since they wernt designed for this? I got the idea from ACME furnace company with their's sticking 14in into the firebox. I will try this coming winter and post results.