Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: I've been thinking...  (Read 4888 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
I've been thinking...
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »

Anyone that owns a H2 knows that they aren't very efficient.  I have been trying to come up with an idea to try and make my H2 a little more efficient. 

My idea would be to make a flat plate of steel that is not quite as wide as the firebox and about 5 inches shorter than the firebox. (so that it would be able to fit in the firebox horizontally) This would have to be made of two seperate pieces of steel so that I would be able to get it through the firebox door and then maybe bolt it together with splice plates once it was inside.

I would then make a frame out of say 1" square tubing (4 pieces) that would be placed on the sides of the firebox and hold the flat steel up maybe 5 inches away from the top. 

My thinking is that the exhaust will no longer have a direct escape route like it does now.  It would have to go towards the back of the firebox where the gap is and over to the chimney opening. 

Did I explain this good enough?  Don't the H4's have something similar to this?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Brad

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
Re: I've been thinking...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »

I'm curious what about the H2 makes it not very efficient?  I have an H5 and was wondering what the difference is between the the two besides the size and btu's.  I think you are on to something with your idea!!
Aitkin, Minnesota

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »

I just think that compared to other units that are out there these days that Hardy is way behind the times.  I'm just referring to the small amount of insulation that they put in their units and the way that the heat just goes straight out of the chimney.  I really don't know what the difference is between the two besides the size either. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

Brad

• OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:43:29 PM »

We just had the H5 installed and this was suggested by my father in-law.  I did not have time to research all the brands out there and he talked to a few people he knew and then talked to the local Hardy guy.  The Hardy guy did a real good job selling him on their product.  I think the kicker for us was the stainless steel construction and the fact that they will last 25 plus years.  I just spent $9000.00 on this stove so it damn well better last that long.  25 years from now I will be 60 and probably be tired of cutting wood anyway.  I realize the ones people like best are the ones they have in their backyard and spent their $$ on...  How long have you had yours?  I don't mean to change the direction of your thread here...  I just like chatting about these darn things...
Aitkin, Minnesota

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »

There is no doubt that they made a reliable stove that will last a long time. This is only my second season with mine but the stove is 12 years old and still works great!  You can't really go wrong with a Hardy but they are just very simple stoves compared to the other ones on the market today.  I'm sure that you will be very pleased with yours for years to come.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

walkerdogman85

• OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »

My h-4 has that plate under the stack I can look out and just barely see anything mabye even think its out and go out and open the door and it seems to hold the smoke in it will deffinetly help according to the dealer who installed mine he said some people called him complaining about wood usage and he went out and that plate had fallen out or burnt out
Michael West
Central Ohio

sawyer45306

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »

The ONLY WAY I can see that stupid plate helping with efficency is the fact it does direct the flame to come up under the boiler on each side. BUT keep an eye on the stupid plate too. I had mine build up with so much ash laying on it that it actually restricted the chimney from being able to exhaust the smoke to the point I could hardly get the fire to burn.
West Central Ohio

jcc273

• OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 07:29:47 AM »

Did you happen to see the post on another thread about efficiency plates?  it seems someone else had the same thoughts as you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UHwO-vRgNo#ws

This guy boasts to have designed plates that are now used in all new H25 designs.  He seems to have made a metal spiral insert for the H2 that goes into the stack to prevent as much heat from just blowing out the stack, and preventing the stack from looking like a birthday candle : ).

He has also developed a replacement plate for the H4 flamebuster that is stronger construction and forces closer contact with the sides.  It also has a sliding door to get the ashes out.

I am thinking about getting one of the spiral inserts for the H2 for next season just to see how it works.
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

Brauma

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

I'm very interested in that corkscrew insert. I just called and left a msg.

I've been using my H2 since Nov 1 and very disappointed in its efficiency. All that heat going straight up the stack is heartbreaking.

jcc273

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 07:00:30 AM »

I was planning on getting the corkscrew insert this summer.  Let me know how it works out for you, I would like to know!  I am not really all that disappointed in my efficiency as i just newly insulated it and have small run to my house and a small house, but i will definitely take better if i can get it!
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA