Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: grate  (Read 2125 times)

muffin

• View Profile
grate
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »

So I made a grate for my 6048.  I learned a great deal, primarily that I am really bad at welding!  My grate is two part.  The first part sits back in the boiler and spans the back with a heat shield to reflect the heat back up front and keep things from falling behind the grate.  It also has a cradle for the grate to pivot on.  The second part is the grate which is just closely spaced pipes with wire mesh over top.  It rests on the back part, in the cradle and on the door opening.  I left open threads on the front so I can screw in handles and hing the grate up out of the way for cleaning under it.

I got it installed the other day, amazingly it all fit in through the door and in place and was pretty nice.  The heat shield I think it too tall and too close to the last baffle.  Seems my draft is a bit messed up so I have to use the blower full time now or it doesn't really burn right.  I used 1/2" black iron pipe to make the grate and that was not strong enough as it has sagged a lot, but is still working.  I am thinking about remaking it in either 1" or some other metal.  I think I might  pay someone to weld a grate for me outta bar stock.

With the blower on the system seems to be working better than ever and it is burning down almost completely.  When it gets low I just screw in the handles and give it a shake.  I have not had to clean it out yet as it has only been a week, but there is not much ash and it looks pretty fine.  I know before, after the first burn after cleaning it out, seemed like the ashes were back to the door level instantly and I would get a lot of small un-burnt coals trapped in them.

Anyways, so far I am pretty happy with it.  I would like to modify the back so it will natural draft again and rebuilt the grate, but I am really looking forward to my next cleaning, usually about once a month so I have 3 more weeks.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: grate
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »

I was going to weld a coal grate in my 6048 but a few guys on here said it would void my warranty!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl