Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Door Open displayed on FireStar when door is closed.  (Read 6189 times)

PFD194

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic 2400
    • View Profile
Door Open displayed on FireStar when door is closed.
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »

Hey guys, ran my E-Classic 2400 all winter (second year) with no problems and I noticed today the FireStar is displaying d.o. and the door is shut in control arm is closed. Anyone had this issue before? The beeping still comes on/off and valve opens when I open the control arm. The door is sealed shut (no smoke coming out of the seal around the door). I shut the FireStar off and killed the power to the boiler with no results.  Any ideas? Thanks.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Door Open displayed on FireStar when door is closed.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »

Could you jump out the switch to determine if it is the switch or the fire star controller
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »

Hey guys, ran my E-Classic 2400 all winter (second year) with no problems and I noticed today the FireStar is displaying d.o. and the door is shut in control arm is closed. Anyone had this issue before? The beeping still comes on/off and valve opens when I open the control arm. The door is sealed shut (no smoke coming out of the seal around the door). I shut the FireStar off and killed the power to the boiler with no results.  Any ideas? Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the Eclassic 2400, I have the Eclassic 1400.  Other than the 2400 being larger than the 1400, there can't be that many differences.  What is the control arm?  The only arm on my 1400 is the lever that opens and closes the by-pass door in the rear of the firebox near the top.  When the by-pass door is open there is an alarm (beeping) that lets you know it's open and when the by-pass door is closed, no beeping heard.  You should have received an operators manual when it was delivered, in it there should be a schematic to help you troubleshoot where the problem is coming from.   Does the OWB operate normally when the digital display shows d.o.?  Have you tried Slimjim's suggestion?  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »

Hey PFD   
With the door open in the corner of the door push the metal tab in and out does it click or pop in and out like its suppose too if not if it doesn't it's gummed up and not sensing your door closed take the 5/32 screws out and take that switch out and  spray it down and clean up mine has done that and I've cleaned it   I think when you burn longer pieces by the edge of door the cresote runs down by edge of door and gets in that door sensor switch.   Hope that helps.    P.s the control arm for the bypass has a different sensor it only activates the beeper to remind you it's open before you walk away

Jack
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:39:15 PM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 02:45:23 AM »

PFD194 - Any updates, good or bad you wish to share with us?  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

PFD194

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »

Sorry guys have been away on work. Just turned it back on after it sitting for a week with d.o. still displaying on firestar. I tried Jacks suggestion with no success. The only thing the manual troubleshoots for d.o. is that the door seal is no good but the door seals just fine with no smoke or gases escaping. I'm pretty sure it was not operating correctly (not getting up to temp) when it had a fire in it with d.o. displayed on the firestar. I am going to troubleshoot it some more today and get a fire going in it again seeing as it seems spring will never come here in Maine. Also the bypass door handle seems to be tight enough. I am unfamiliar on how to "jump out the switch" as suggested by slimjim but am willing to give it a try.

Edit: I am just going to go ahead and buy a new door seal to eliminate that variable.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:02:48 AM by PFD194 »

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »

The switch should be simply a make or break switch with the door closed, either tie the 2 wires together or take one off the switch depending on which way it works, you could also check continuity through the switch.

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »

PFD - I agree with Jack, sounds like door switch is bad. If you push the switch button in and out and it makes no difference on the DO on the firestar the door switch is most likely bad. If the firestar thinks the door is open the primary solenoid will not open the top primary cover to allow air into the firebox so your boiler will not run right. Only the lower secondaries would be open. The door seal has nothing to do with a DO on the firestar. The bypass also has nothing to do with a DO showing on the firestar.  I would contact your dealer for a new door switch.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 03:25:43 AM »

If Boilerman says the switch is bad, then it probably is and there is no reason to check it, he knows his centrals pretty well.

PFD194

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:35:52 AM »

Problem solved. Bottom panel of door was bent (who knows how or why) so it was not making contact with the door switch when the door was shut. I bent the panel back and now it works fine. I found this out while replacing the door switch. Door switch was only 5$ and very easy to install. It has ben running without problems for 24 hours. Thanks for the help guys.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:38:23 AM by PFD194 »

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:39:30 AM »

was the old one bad?

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »

Problem solved. Bottom panel of door was bent (who knows how or why) so it was not making contact with the door switch when the door was shut. I bent the panel back and now it works fine. I found this out while replacing the door switch. Door switch was only 5$ and very easy to install. It has ben running without problems for 24 hours. Thanks for the help guys.

PFD
Glad you figured it out.     Sorry had you going in wrong direction

Jack
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

PFD194

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »

Slimjim, I don't think the old one was bad as the solenoid activated when the door switch was engaged. That being said when I would manually depress the old door switch with my finger the DO display on the firestar should have gone away and it didn't.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »

A continuity check on the switch could tell you if the switch is bad but it sounds like you have it now anyway and for short money, glad it worked out!

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »

Now you have a spare that's not such a bad thing!!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax