Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Michigan loves OWB's deq letter  (Read 1818 times)

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
Michigan loves OWB's deq letter
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »

http://michigan.gov/documents/OWB_fact_sheet_3_reasons_11-10-05_142298_7.pdf

Does this smell of a little bias, or opinionated. Pretty strong statements called a fact sheet. It comes up whenever wood and boiler are in the search terms, along with OWB and a few other terms.

From what I have read, specifically a few in the city of Marquette ,MI are ones with an axe to grind against burning any wood. That city also banned snow machines for a few years, till the economic hurt they put on their own residents from tourists not visiting took its toll and they reversed the ban.

It does seem like its a small number of voices that  squeak their wheels. You would almost think someone paid to have the letter published. I thought a govt agency isn't supposed to name brands and be impartial.

Although those are the brands and types of boilers I like and recommend. I would rather a consumer make their own choice from an educational and financial point.
I also wish Michigan and a few other states would have more incentives for these types of heating equipment. The east coast has $5000 incentives.
Michigan Thumber

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan loves OWB's deq letter
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »

http://michigan.gov/documents/OWB_fact_sheet_3_reasons_11-10-05_142298_7.pdf

Does this smell of a little bias, or opinionated. Pretty strong statements called a fact sheet. It comes up whenever wood and boiler are in the search terms, along with OWB and a few other terms.

From what I have read, specifically a few in the city of Marquette ,MI are ones with an axe to grind against burning any wood. That city also banned snow machines for a few years, till the economic hurt they put on their own residents from tourists not visiting took its toll and they reversed the ban.

It does seem like its a small number of voices that  squeak their wheels. You would almost think someone paid to have the letter published. I thought a govt agency isn't supposed to name brands and be impartial.

Although those are the brands and types of boilers I like and recommend. I would rather a consumer make their own choice from an educational and financial point.
I also wish Michigan and a few other states would have more incentives for these types of heating equipment. The east coast has $5000 incentives.

I don't live in the city of Marquette itself, but I'll be sure to put in a few green logs next winter as I'll be putting a P&M OWB in this summer.  We've got quite a few OWBs around here though in my township there is an ordinance about having the stack 15 feet or 2 feet higher than the neighbor's house if he's within 100 feet of it.  I was already planning on a tall stack before I saw the ordinance so it doesn't impact me.
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:42:25 PM »

I thought Greenwood went belly up?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Speed

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »

I still blame this whole problem on the idiots who first started the claims that you can burn green wood, and the idiots that continue to do it. I have never seen smoke anywhere near that which is shown in the article come out of my chimney on mine.

Slimjim, as far as I know Greenwood is done. I was looking at a Greenwood at a store near me ( Ben's for you locals) over a year ago. They were selling the last few CHEAP with no warranty just to get rid of them. I asked the salesman about them he said they were out of business due to some money problems, but they were trying to get something going again. Whether they ever did I don't know. This article has 2011 on it though.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »

I have not read the article you'r talking about but if it's the same photo the lung association used to convince our state legislators that if we didn't move on this issue that the world was about to end. The photo I'm referring to is of a CB conventional that appears to be smoking uncontrollably but if you look at it close the door is propped open and what you are seeing is steam from an overheat situation.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.