Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: still building stove  (Read 7495 times)

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
still building stove
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »

still building stove getting closer though i would try some pic . please be nice it is based from shaver desine allmost all is from salvage thanks for all the help

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

beeman

• View Profile
Re: still building stove
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »

that is so cool  ;D have to try another

beeman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »

one more  mind you learning to weld is easer than this comp stuf  :bash:   but cant stay in the old days good to learn

beeman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:09:08 PM »

if we have a winter like the last one the stove will be grand , snowed in for 3 days

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »

Looking good!
Did you space your burn chamber up from the bottom of the water jacket so water can flow all around?
Have you checked for water leaks inside the burn chamber and on the outside tank seams?
I put about 5 to 8 PSI of air on mine and then sprayed all the seems with concetrated window cleaner.Worked like a charm :thumbup:
Keep up the good work
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »

That looks great beeman. I got my first one together(OWB) 5 years ago and leak tested it by putting 10 psi air to it and letting it set all night. It's the only one so far that had no leaks. I've built a couple since then and haven't been so lucky. My gasser I'm building (been a work in very slow progress for 5 months) I filled with water, plugged everything off, then turned the water back on (I think around 45psi or so) and found 2 leaks that did not show up with the air test.
  What diameter combustion chamber do you have and how long?
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

mober

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »

built my homemade out of propane tanks 2 years ago....
tested mine to 60 psi air...then checked with soap and for bubles ,all good left overnight to be sure all good .sprayed all welds with black antirust paint and played around with the air that was in the tank (tried shooting stuff,that thing hold a LOT of air).
hard to check for leaks with water in the summer because condensation unless your patient or filling it with warm water.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »

tested mine to 60 psi air...then checked with soap and for bubles ,all good left overnight to be sure all good .sprayed all welds with black antirust paint and played around with the air that was in the tank (tried shooting stuff,that thing hold a LOT of air).
hard to check for leaks with water in the summer because condensation unless your patient or filling it with warm water.

60psi?  Homemade tank, remind me to stay wayyyyyyyy the heck away the next time you try that!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »

mober if you were testing your tank with that much air, i hope both ends of your stove were "belled" ends if you had a square end on one end you sure put a lot of strain on the weld..way more than you likely should have
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »

mober if you were testing your tank with that much air, i hope both ends of your stove were "belled" ends if you had a square end on one end you sure put a lot of strain on the weld..way more than you likely should have

if he didn't he's lucky to be posting here...  That's a lot of psi

im like the others i wouldn't go over 8-10
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

mober

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »

have done some pipe welding before so i had the guts to do it....
3 passes and it was all good ....
my first plan was to make it pressurized boiler thats why i tested it higher...
bought the expansion tank pressure relief valve make up water automatic water fill air seperator ...
the whole shabang for pressuirized boiler but after reading a lot on this site i decided the pros for pressurized is not worth it since non pressurized works just fine.

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »

The company that sells steel 100 gallon fuel transfer tanks at TSC(4 years ago) pressure tests their tanks for leaks @ 50 psi. Their burst pressure is much higher than that. If my memory is correct, those tanks were only 10 gauge. I've built make shift accumulators(air over oil) for a silage defacer out of quarter inch square tube that runs at 2750 psi, and they are still working fine after 8 years. 60 psi wouldn't scare me at all if I welded it, but it might make me a little nervous not knowing who welded it and how they did it. I like pressure testing with water and compressed air. If the tank is full of pressurized water (45 psi), you will find any and all leaks. Using compressed air on all moist seams will pinpoint the leak, then you mark it, grind it, weld it, and then refill and retest.   
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »

you built someting out of 4 inch square tube and pressurized it with a flat end on it?..ok that flat end was only 4 inches square now take that flat end and put it on a 36 inch pipe. that pressure is now trying to equalize over a much bigger and weaker area, you are looking for trouble. i will give you the benifit of the doubt (because i don't know you) and say your welds are good and strong enough to pull the ash can right up from hell but if that big flat surface starts to yeild and push outwards in the center, your weld on the flat edge could very well tear from teh direction the metal is going to try and go no matter if it was 3 passes or ten. you ever look at a blank flange on a pipe (you know, the flat end that bolts on) they are usually 4 times thicker than the pipe itself, there is a reason.

take a look at one of them portable air tanks, they are safe to use at over 100 pounds PSI (and likely tested at 5 times that) and are about 1/8 of an inch thick...now you build one the same size and thickness and weld in flat ends, fill it with water and then add air and see how many psi you get in it before the ends buckle or you have complete failure...i would bet (hell i know!)  it will be way before 100 psi

flat ends on a pressure vessel are a NO NO and any OWB being tested should be tested with air over water
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »

All I know is that a 30 gallon steel drum can't take more than about 10PSI.   ;D The bottom bulged out and it rolled over on it's side. Much more and the bottom would have blown right off.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »

general rule of thumb is if you use a flat end on a pressure vessel it will have about 30 percent more force on the flat end than on the pipe itself...yes the presusre is the same (50lb psi is 50lb psi) but it accumulates on the flat surface. think of a hydraulic cylinder with a bore of say 3 inches..add 1000 psi and it may lift 3 or 4 tons now take a cylinder with a 10 inch bore and the same 1000psi and it may lift 100 tons..same pressure but more square inches to push on...when you test your OWB ith a flat end on it you are essentually pushing on the flat end the same as a hydraulic cylinder...the bigger the bore the more pressure you exert on the flat surface. that is why your oil barrel bulged (failed) and an OWB with a flat end will burst or warp long before the same rounded side walls will give way
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2