Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Osage Orange?  (Read 5263 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Osage Orange?
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »

someone please post a pic of it, i'm intrested to see if it grows' here in Kentucky
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

ckbetz

• View Profile
Re: Osage Orange?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »

The easiest way to pick one out is that they drop a bunch of hedge apples in the summer.  I believe the hedge apples are poisonous to humans though. 

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/trees/osage_orange/tabid/5403/Default.aspx
Pomeroy, Ohio

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »

yea no hedge apple trees around here

there not poison though, you can eat the lil tiny seeds in the middle of them
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »

Interesting. I'm still scared to try it though..hehehe
Pomeroy, Ohio

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:40:57 PM »

might be to late to post but hedge is in ky and its everwhere, from what i have read its the closest thing to coal in btu output, have cut alot of it . one big problem, you will dull your blade in a third the time as normal, its the hardest stuff i have ever cut. also, dont burn in an open fireplace, it sparks real bad, it could start a fire quick, did it as a joke once, still laugh about it, seeing him jump up like a nut as the sparks flew, but just be careful.
Newrichmond, Ohio

ribs1963

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:11:10 AM »

I've burned oak,ash,walnut,and other unknown wood and so far osage orange (hedge)outburns them all.Burns hot and long.Only a couple (rounders) needed to keep the stove at operating temps for about 6 hours.The issue with the sparks only happens when the wood is fresh cut,if you have seasoned it then it doesnt spark.and it only does it when you open the fuel door and let in a lot of air to the firebox.Where we live they planted it in fencerows back in the 1930's to help slow down wind erosion so it's pretty abundant and easy to get to.When you first cut into it you'll know it's osage orange by the bright yellow color.Also I dont think I've ever see one of those trees grow straight,they always gorw in a twisted/bent fashion

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »

I have only seen  about 5 of them trees here in my part of ontario canada and have never cut one down but the 'apples' sure look like green "oranges" on them here. they look about the size of an average orange and have the same kind of textured skin on the outside. when i was a kid i heard the term "monley brain" to describe them

i think i did here that they grow quite abundantly a little farther south of me and pa pa bushes too
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ribs1963

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »

You'd know it if you saw it.Very rarely is there a straight section over 4 feet long and they have those ugly green hedge balls in the autumn about the size of a softball.

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »

We have lots of  osage orange trees growing in southeast mich. and yes they burn really hot and hard to cut.  I am told this wood is in high demand by wood archery bow makers!!  Most of the trees I have seen are under 12 inches in dia. and really crooked.
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

piper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:59 AM »

You'd know it if you saw it.Very rarely is there a straight section over 4 feet long and they have those ugly green hedge balls in the autumn about the size of a softball.

yes we have the hedge apple in ky.  as kids we would  have early snow ball fights with the hedge apple ball, if you hit your target it would hurt , i rember that well  :'( :'( >:D
piper   kevil ky.  the western part of the state