Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: mahoning project  (Read 6380 times)

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
mahoning project
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »

Just took my mahoning 300 offline an doing some major changes. I wasn't very happy with its performance last year. It burned a lot of fuel, an I had a hard time keeping it going. Many times I'd come home an the fire would be out. so I'm adding a foot to the water jacket for more capacity. My questions are I've been searching around at other furnaces an like the idea of the
p@m with the multi pass heatexchanger for the flu gasses. Would adding a exchanger like that increase the efficancy?? Also any benefit to adding a 2nd blower forcing air on top the fire also??

I also installed 100' of thermopex. I think I was loosing quit a bit of heat threw my old lines. Always melted the snow.

Will post life of progress.

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: mahoning project
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »

Nobody??

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »

Sounds like a major project. If your underground lines were really that bad figure the thermoplex will save you between 25%-50% of the wood you burned last year. I don't see where adding water storage is going to help you that much. You are only going to gain I would guess 50 gallons which isn't going to help your problem. As far as redesigning the flue configuration, the more cotact the flue gasses have with a water jacket the more heat transfer you will have, the more effecient your stove will be. Goggle "aqua stack".  I have one in mine, I notice a difference when it gets really cold and boiler is working harder, it uses less wood during those times than it did, very little difference during mild weather when the boiler is idleing much of the time. If I had to put a number on it, maybe 5-10% reduction in wood consumption overall. Not trying to be a smart a## here but if I was you I would just try the underground lines first and see how much better it performs. If you are still not happy, start from scratch and build a boiler similar to a p&m ml series then try to sell your mahoning. It will be worth more money in stock configuration rather than a chopped up custom build. Good luck!

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I already added to the water jacket, and the blower above the fire. Working on the glue pipe now. Will get pictures. The only reason I'm adding to the water capacity is it seemed like the blower ran all the time. Once it got the water up to temp it wouldn't stay hot for long an the blower would be back on. My dad has the same furnace, just older model. His holds way more water than mine an he has no trouble an heats way more than I do.

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »

More capacity is always better. Longer burns as opposed to idle time always increases efficiency. Maybe your original blower fan wasn't large enough. The second should Deffinatly help.get a hot clean fire going. Watch out for over pressuring the burn chamber with more air though. You can create more heat and expansion than the flue can expel and you will know the chugging when it happens. Consider some sort of draft controlling for the fans maybe.

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »

Well, I finished it up awhile ago an man am I pleased. Added almost 200 gallon to the water capacity.
Installed 100ft of thermopex, an added a 2nd forced air blower on top the fire. Didn't mess with the chimney. New insulation an siding. Also put in a plate exchanger for dhw instead of coil in furnace. An wow what a differance! Also been burning straight coal. Will try an get pics.

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »

How is the coal working out? I was able to get it for $80 a ton last winter, filled a 18 yard dump truck full and hauled it home. Ran hot but no matter what I tried I had a light colored but very sooty smoke that left a black dust on everything within 20 feet. Also couldn't stand the smell and became worried about the toxins in the ash. My supply was a very dirty southern coal, not a low sulfer eastern and that may have been part of the problem. But at this point the wife and I both agree to never try it again. Just curious as to how this is working out for you, and if you might know the origin of what your burning?

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

I work in the mines. An get a very good discount on coal, free!!! Its low sulfur high btu coal.  Works awesome. You get some smoke but not a huge amount.  Will never burn just wood again.

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »

Here's a photo.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile