Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New boiler  (Read 3040 times)

bigdaddyjak

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Homemade
    • View Profile
New boiler
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »

I built a boiler out of 2 propane tanks. Firebox is about 40" deep by 30"dia. It holds approx. 160 galllons of water. I put the draft fan in the back towards the bottom, to blow in under the grates. It burns decent and heats up well, but I'm having a problem that I'm loosing water. I have a temp gauge, currently my water is at 130, so I no its not boiling, I put a sight tube on it so I can c the water level, I can watch the water fluctuate anywhere from 2-8" at a time, causing the water to overflow and run out of boiler, causing my water level to keep getting lower, what is causing this? I am currently just running it to a water to air exchanger in the house.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: New boiler
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »

Well it sounds like you have no circulation inside of the tank, you could easily have cold or 130 degree water in one end or one corner and have water at a fierce boil elsewhere in the water jacket. 

However there are lots of variables, where you taking the temp? 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »

guessing you have no "expansion tank on boiler"?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

bigdaddyjak

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Homemade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 05:44:27 PM »

I understand what ur saying about the circulation, that maybe the problem or atleast part. My supply line is on the left side about 2/3 towards the back, and just above center. My return is about 1/4 the way from the front, top center, and diverted towards the right front side. Temp gauge is about 12" from the front on the right side ,center of tank. Your correct no expansion tank, I have never seen one on an open system.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 05:52:03 PM »

[quote ]
. Your correct no expansion tank, I have never seen one on an open system.

Problem 1

where you add water to your OWB you need some "room" for expansion depending on the temps you are running your water volume could increase by near 1/2 to 1 full gallon (temps beetween 130 andn 150)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »

Is the fluctuating from one end of the cycle to the other or constantly going up and down? If constantly, it is probably something to do with where the pipes connect and where the overflow is.

Post some pics of it.