Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My first build  (Read 7868 times)

twoenker

• View Profile
My first build
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:22:21 PM »

Hey guys i m new to this forum and want to say that there is a lot of good info on here.  Im looking to start a build of my own outdoor wood boiler.  I have an old fuel oil tank that i was thinking about using in my build.  It measures 3'-6" tall and 2'-6" wide and 5 ft deep.  My question is do you think i should use this as the firebox or the water jacket?  Also is a round firebox better than a square one?  Any bit of info will be greatly appreciated and im excited to get this project rolling.  Thanks for your time

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: My first build
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

Round is better, think about how many less welds there are vs a square box design.   The fuel oil tank seems to not be a good size for either, kinda an odd shape.  If you could find perhaps a 30" pipe and slide it into a 48" it would make things pretty simple
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:47:56 AM »

I agree with Scott.  When I built mine I had thought of using a used fuel oil tank because they are so easy and cheap to get but I couldn't seem to work it into any practical design.  You could consider it for additional water storage however there is a whole other debate on the benefits of that. 
Muskoka, Ont

twoenker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »

ok thank you both for the info i am gonna try and see what kind of big pipe i can find im a pipefitter so im hoping i wont have a problem with finding pipe 30" to 40" in size lol.  Thanks again im gonna get back to the drawing board and see what i can find thank you so much for now im sure i will have more questions to come Thanks

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »

ok thank you both for the info i am gonna try and see what kind of big pipe i can find im a pipefitter so im hoping i wont have a problem with finding pipe 30" to 40" in size lol.  Thanks again im gonna get back to the drawing board and see what i can find thank you so much for now im sure i will have more questions to come Thanks

mine is 36 inside a 42 this time around the 36 is 5 feet long (fire box) and the water jacket is 7 feet long
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »

Thats a biggin Willie, how many gallons
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »

i think it is about 240 US gallons (about 200 Imperial Gallons)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

happycamper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
any body make a 275 gal oil tank wood stove
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »

any body have or maked a 275 gal oil tank wood stove

tomsowb

• OWF Brand: Homemade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »

Hello All!
I am new to this sight and am planning to build my own boiler. I would like to use an old 275 gallon fuel oil tank, and a old  20" 80 gallon electric water heater for the fire box. These are materials that I already have in my inventory of scrap!
 I only need 60,000 btu to heat my home. I noticed that some said this may not be a good design, Why?
Thanks for any Input!

Rom

dave_dj1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 04:53:03 AM »

If I was to try and use a 275 gal oil tank I would make that the firebox and use the water heater as the vessel after all it's already a sealed unit and the oil tank is not.
I actually started one once this way and ended up scrapping the whole thing. If I was to do it again I would make the water tank slide in with some sort of gasket instead of trying to weld it in (it took forever!).
The only other thing I see is the thinness of the tank, it may burn through prematurely.
Good luck :thumbup:

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »

old propane 500-1000 tank for the fire chamber 3/8 inch thick if it is made to small you will have to feed it all the time but i am not telling eny body to be crazy as i and cut on a propane tank
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

dukethebeagle

• OWF Brand: green mountain woodhog(home built)
  • OWF Model: 0001 hot tamali
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »

hey dave dj1.i built mine with a 200 gallon oil tank and a 60 gallon used hot water tank.found a way to do this with about 5 to six hours in time spent building start to finish.you have to cut down on the number of joints you weld from cuts.building another one now for a neighbor and am half finished in maybe three hours.
austin qc
bluegrass rules
pround canadian living in quebec
proud appalachian

dave_dj1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 06:36:02 AM »

Post up some pics! We like pics.  :pic:

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:23:43 AM »

hey dave dj1.i built mine with a 200 gallon oil tank and a 60 gallon used hot water tank.found a way to do this with about 5 to six hours in time spent building start to finish.you have to cut down on the number of joints you weld from cuts.building another one now for a neighbor and am half finished in maybe three hours.

I'd like to see pictures and more details.

dukethebeagle

• OWF Brand: green mountain woodhog(home built)
  • OWF Model: 0001 hot tamali
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »

hey all.i was thinking about doing a vid and posting it on youtube.my first one using two tanks like this was long and not thought out.after completion i spent some time thinking about how to build it a little quicker and with less welds.i finally came up with a way for the 60 gallon in a 200 gallon oil tank.i will get that video soon and let you all know when it is posted.if you check wood boiler from junk on youtube it looks quite abit like it. to come soon.later
austin qc
bluegrass rules
pround canadian living in quebec
proud appalachian
Pages: [1] 2