Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Draw the water off the top or bottom?  (Read 7569 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Draw the water off the top or bottom?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »

Something to think about, if you want the boiler to last I think the key is to have as close a temp throughout the boiler as you can as well as circulation, to do this bring the returns to the hottest spot on the boiler, downdraft gassers to the bottom or just past the reaction chamber, conventional boilers to the top, I may be wrong but thats the way I try to install.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Draw the water off the top or bottom?
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 08:59:40 PM »

Something to think about, if you want the boiler to last I think the key is to have as close a temp throughout the boiler as you can as well as circulation, to do this bring the returns to the hottest spot on the boiler, downdraft gassers to the bottom or just past the reaction chamber, conventional boilers to the top, I may be wrong but thats the way I try to install.

That's what I'm thinking, bring the water in under the reaction chamber and pull it off 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up. I'm going to install a bunch of drywells I think when building the water jacket and get several temp gauges and see what happens. If I have time I'll make up some cute charts or something and post em for all to see.

I wonder though, I'm thinking about upgrading to a delta t pump and wonder how well the water will mix when the delta t pump is at it's lowest output. I've also thought of using a delta t for the house then a standard to the shop so at least one pump has full flow all the time to better mix the water in the reservoir.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: 1 [2]