Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: indoor/outdoor  (Read 2952 times)

Shockley

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
indoor/outdoor
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:03:11 PM »

Well,  I am building a new house, and plan to have wood heat as my primary source of heat.  I am planning to buy a small wood furnace, and use it outside.   I will put in inside of a steel building, (no wood parts), and have a dedicated flue for the furnace.
I figured the furnace will stay dry, and so will I while loading and cleaning the furnace.  I also plan to have a small stack of wood in the steel building so dry wood will be available in bad weather.
I was wondering if anyone else had tried this setup, and how it worked out for them.

Shockley

bikeralan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: indoor/outdoor
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:13:41 PM »

There is a thread on arobrsite now about a guy that put a forced air furnace outside. He put a layer of reflectex, framed with steel studs, fiberglass and another layer of reflectex, he insulated chimney good also.
If I were gonna used forced air I think I would go with a lil house heater, they are about 1500 I think. Unless you already have a stove.

ribs1963

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: indoor/outdoor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »

my brother in law and myself built a forced air outdoor furnace last year.it sits outside but could easly be put in a metal shed.Also firechief makes a pretty good sized outdoor forced air wood furnace.I have a post under the homemade section about my furnace.My brother in law built his and it sits inside a galvanized steel hog hut that stands on its end and is protected from the elements.