Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: getting prices and trying to design a owb  (Read 3212 times)

truecountry

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000 SS
    • View Profile
getting prices and trying to design a owb
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:10:12 PM »

Now when i first came to this site it was to find the best owb for the money installed .. i worked 60 hours a week til last month now 50 hours so i got a lil time on my hands and looking at the homemade units you guys have taking time to make and show are FRIGGING AWESOME.. so im getting a itch to see how much it would cost if i did this , plus any tools i need to use are mine for the using from work ..and my wife is a hvac tech and has designed the way she wants air handler to be to duct work and hot water heater in with it . That said i can get all my metal from work at their cost .. 4x8 1/4 is 180 a sheet .. machine shop rep stopped by today and i asked for a quote on a piece of pipe 36" x 48  drop off or bending a piece of plate to 36 inch he will call me later ...Now in doing this i will get my new toy hobart iron man mig ( i like miller and use a miller everyday but hell they are both made by same company but cheaper ) as far as my job title it changed from diesel tech to welder fab 1 1/2 years ago when they found out i can and knew how to weld but no raise lol so i use the benefits of payying with discount parts and everything so why not use it

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: getting prices and trying to design a owb
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »

If you can get your materials at cost,and your wife is a HVAC tech you are set.You say you can weld and fabricate.I will give you advise if you need any,as the same as others on here will.You will find building liqiud water vessel more demanding than just making some brackets and such at a service shop.I have been welding and fabbing for 20yrs.the last 12 yrs as a journey man millwright.
I don't know what machine you have or it's range of capacity.You will be running some high amps to get good penetration during root passes on 1/4"or heavier material depending on what you go with.
Make sure you keep good ventilation when welding in the tank.Due to the heavy shielding gas.
You will also find that this baby will get heavy and unwieldy at times so make sure you have proper cribbing and rigging  to support it as you are building it.Take your time and plan ahead for future improvements.
Don't set yourself on your first design you come up with.You will find different and better ideas as you go.Just add up all the features you want to incorporate and go from there.Plan out how you will assemble and weld different joints and pieces..As sometimes you might not be able to get to them after another part has been fabbed.
This will be a fun project for you.I enjoyed making mine and love knowing that it's keeping my family warm all winter.
I just got done pulling 16 hrs so if this makes no sense don't pay any attention.I think there is a bed calling me somewhere :o
oh and good luck and take lots of pics :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:21:20 PM »

jackal 440 yes ive welded for 20 years off and on also but not certified, i use a miller 252 mig and i know i can do it... just time and figuring and thanks yes i will heve more questions

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »

OK well sounds like your set then.Get a stack of paper and go to it man! >:D
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:34:39 PM »

yeah im trying machine shop still hasnt given me a quote yet on bending a plate  so im still looking for a 36 inch dia pipe . i found a air tank at work i can get for free ( chipper stopped up and took 2 hours to un jam it ill get pic and measurments tomorrow )  still might get but i think its to small for fire chamber too short ... ive been playing around on google sketch and did a design looks better then my drawing lol but anyway its still

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »

Did you look for old LP tanks? If you get the underground type they are real thick steel. Also if you can make it work with the end still intact for the back of the firebox, the rounded end is much stronger that flat would be.