Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Acme Furnace  (Read 11635 times)

sizmo

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Acme
  • OWF Model: 340
    • View Profile
New Acme Furnace
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »

Bought and installed the Acme 340. I have 3 sets of ports, and a domestic hot water coil installed. Been very happy with it! Heats our 3,400 sq. foot home with ease. First winter we have been warm in the whole house. Turned the circuit breaker off to the hot water heater, and it heats the hot water just fine. Hot water temps have been about 125* to 135* which is perfect. I made a mixing valve in case I needed it, but haven't had to use it.

I'll hook up my 40 X 60' metal building later, but this furnace should handle that with ease too.

Researched and researched wood burning furnaces. For the money this one was a no-brainer.  :thumbup:

berlyn

• View Profile
Re: New Acme Furnace
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:33:22 AM »

:bash: If your are happy with this furnace then you are happy with Obama. This furnace should be in hell, at least it would be warm then. Piss poor design, and terrible workmanship. The door sucks, and the grill is way too big. Doesn't allow for a fire to stay in the middle of unit, or a bed of coals. Creosote builds up on the door and sticks it shut, not only that but then drips all over everything once open.
Sucks all the way around

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 07:06:46 AM »

:bash: If your are happy with this furnace then you are happy with Obama. This furnace should be in hell, at least it would be warm then. Piss poor design, and terrible workmanship. The door sucks, and the grill is way too big. Doesn't allow for a fire to stay in the middle of unit, or a bed of coals. Creosote builds up on the door and sticks it shut, not only that but then drips all over everything once open.
Sucks all the way around

Man that was a little rough don't you think? Why don't you start a new thread explaining your troubles and maybe someone here could help. From the sounds of it either your heat load is too small or your wood is too green. Sizmo glad your happy with your furnace and welcome to the forum.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 07:29:54 AM »

Sizmo, Glad your happy! Not many people around here with an ACME furnace. Design looks similar to a shaver but you don't here anyone coming on here complaining about how crappy the metal and workmanship is. Just shows how using the right materials will change alot!

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »

WOW how do you really feel? ask for help and ye shall recieve!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »

Sucks all the way around

Yes I'll admit the door is a shortcoming. The creosote does build up an the bottom part of my door too. When the temps are warm and the unit doesn't cycle as much, I burn seasoned wood. That helps a ton. When it is colder I'll put some wood in it that hasn't seasoned as much and it is ok. When it doesn't cycle much I burn wood behind the grate and then rake some coals forward if I need to. When it is cold and it cycles alot more, it works fine though.

I have a 340 and the firebox is bigger ( a foot deeper than the 235) so I'm sure that helps too. I have the solenoid that shuts the metal flap to the draft blower, and drilled a small hole in the metal flap to allow just a little air in when idling and that made a huge difference in keeping the coals smoldering. The hole does not make the fire too hot to worry about boiling. I had an issue with the fire going out a couple times and this did the trick for me.

I think for the money, this is an outstanding design and value!! I researched almost all the furnaces, and kept coming back to the Acme furnace.

Mine is well built, and I would recommend it to others. Every furnace has their positives and negatives.

rt000009

• OWF Brand: ACME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 08:00:27 AM »

Just purchased a new acme 340 for my shop, does anyone know how this unit should be wired?  The thermostat, blower and pump came unwired to a primary switch.  I see the solenoid that needs to be wired to the blower, can anyone help with what goes were? 

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »

RT, Alot of options for you IMHO. 

Pump wise, depends on how you are distributing the heat in your shop.  if you are using an air handler of some sort, you can either run the circulation pump 24/7 (I think most on here do that) or on demand so basically when the fan kicks on for heat, a relay turns the circulation pump on.  Downside is that if you run it on demand, you should have a short circulation loop becasue it will take a little time to move heated water from your boiler to the HX in your air handling unit.  While off in demand mode, the water in the circulation lines will cool.  I set my shop up to do either with an ON-OFF-ON switch to allow either.  I run mine 24/7 most of the time, but can switch to demand when its warmer in the fall/spring.  Frankly, i rarely use the demand function as I don't like the idea of cycling the pump that often.  What kind of thermostat in your shop depends on how your air handler is set up, either a 24V for a forced air furnace/air handler is set up for that or an inline theremostat if you are looking at a simple 115V (or above) blower motor turning on at a set temp .  If you are using radiant, I will let someone else chime in.

There are also several ways to manage your boiler blower/solenoid.  I kept mine simple and when the boiler needs to be heated up, the Ranco stat turns on the fan and opens the solenoid for the damper at the same time.  When it gets to temp, both shut off at the same time.  There are smarter people on here that can explain how to do other things like open/close the solenoid different times than the blower, etc that I won't attempt since I don't have any experience with it.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

rt000009

• OWF Brand: ACME
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »

Thanks a lot, that's great I am using radiant heat and circulating it through the floor and one hanging heater.  I have that part for the shop okay it's the stove it came unwired and I know it has to be a simple wiring job but don't want to make a mistake. 

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »

Thanks a lot, that's great I am using radiant heat and circulating it through the floor and one hanging heater.  I have that part for the shop okay it's the stove it came unwired and I know it has to be a simple wiring job but don't want to make a mistake.

I mounted a two gang junction box to the steel brace that runs horizonally (underneath it) with self tapping screws. Power comes in to an outlet. I made a plug and plugged the fan and solenoid into that (one plug). You could bring both leads to the outlet so it is always hot, and "break" the circuit of the plug on the cord that goes to the blower and solenoid. You bring the "broken" wire to the top terminal of the thermostat. Then connect another wire to the bottom of the thermostat back to the cord of the blower and solenoid. When the thermostat calls for heat, it completes the circuit and the blower and solenoid are energized.  The second side of the box gets power from the outlet terminals and has a light switch which switches on the circulating pump.

I had trouble with the fire going out on warm days when the furnace isn't on much. The trick is to keep coals behind the grate going. I think the grate slats are to big, and in the spring will make them smaller so the coals can't fall thru as easy. I also drilled a small hole in the metal flap that covers the blower so a tiny amount of air can still get thru. Had some warm days since I drilled that hole in the flap, and it works like a champ.

I dented my furnace when I unloaded it, and got replacement tin today. I'm going to mount a switch to the corner trim in the front so I can shut the blower off when I load the furnace.

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 06:58:11 AM »

Hello gents I just ordered the 235 after a horrible experience with another furnace only 5 yrs old leak in firebox when I went to weld it.... I burned nothing but holes in it the metal was so damm thin horrible..so I figured these have a pretty thick firebox so it might last a lot longer lol please can't deal with that crap again.
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

dterry

• OWF Brand: acme wood furnace
  • OWF Model: 235
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »

I wouldn't recommend. I have had problems from the day mine was installed 4 years ago and I have yet to see anyone come to fix it.  I always get the parts are here I just need to get there.  I'll be there in a few days..... they have yet to show up yet. I was supposed to be reimbursed for a pump that I had to replace and have yet to see a dime from that.  all I would recommend buying someplace else.

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »

dterry,

What is wrong with yours?

Nothings perfect, but I'm very pleased with mine. I installed it myself.

Let me know if there is anything we can help you with.

:thumbup:

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »

I did have a problem with my solenoid that opens and shuts the flapper to the blower. It quit working a few days after the first firing of the furnace.

I bought the same solenoid from Grainger, and haven't had a problem since and it has been over a month now.

I called Acme furnace and they sent me out another solenoid fast. So now I have a spare.

I wired and mounted a wet location switch box to the front corner trim, so I can switch the blower off when I load the furnace.

I also bought a Sunpro (Automotive) mechanical temperature gauge to monitor the temperature. I taped the sensor to the supply line pipe and insulated and taped the heck out of it. Drilled a 2" hole and mounted the gauge to the back trim next to the removable back panel. The temperature readout is pretty close to my infared heat gun readout. Off by about 7*. I'm using the gauge mostly for a reference anyway.

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 05:25:57 AM »

Sizmo that sounds great...hope mine gives me. Many years of service missing the heat in the house hard to wait...and it sucks running on propane
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)
Pages: [1] 2