Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Acme Furnace  (Read 11632 times)

Dawnpatrol

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: New Acme Furnace
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »

Sizmo, how long can you get on average out of a fill on your 340?

sizmo

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Acme
  • OWF Model: 340
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »

Sizmo, how long can you get on average out of a fill on your 340?

About 12-14 hours.

MALACHI 4:1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ACME
  • OWF Model: 235
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »

Yea, the solenoid and flapper a must!!!  With coal, the times between filling greatly increase.  Just got two tons yesterday.  Under $150.  That is equivalent to 2-3 cords of wood.  Cheap heat! 

Dawnpatrol

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »

Man I'm a month away from ordering a stove. I'm having a hard time with this decision. I'm back and forth from the woodmaster 4400 and the acme 235 or 340. I know 4 people in my town  that sware by woodmaster. I don't know anyone with a acme except the few reviews on this site. I've called out there and spoke with darla twice now and really like their product and what she has to say. Can somebody just make this easy for me.  2800sq home

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 02:40:00 AM »

Dawnpatrol what convinced me was the way the acme was built 3/8 thick firewall and cost heat up to 5500 sq ft for $4500? That was a no brainer for me plus a lot of research... I made the mistake last time with a boiler that only gave me 5 yrs of service claiming that the thin firewall made it more efficient...yea ok
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »

Aries what kinda stove was it??

Ive sold a pile of furnaces with 1/4" firewalls and my number one sellers have 10 guage fire boxes with a lifetime warranty, and no ive not seen on fail, there stainless though.   Look at hardy, been around for ever and there firebox and water jacket is 1/16, yes you read that right! 

Its more to do with quality control than steel thickness.  The wood master is built real heavy, 1/4 in water jacket and firebox.  There are a pile of them around been running 20 years.

I do know a few people here who have bought acme, they have been buying a lot of parts converting things over to higher quality components, that little hot water heater aquastat is usually there first thing they change to an actual aquastat. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

aries9245

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:13 AM »

Scott it was little power house boiler the firewall is made of 16 gauge steel all I did was throw a large log in it hitting the back of the furnace and it ruptured.. All in all it did a great job heating for a little boiler just very light weight metal used on all the parts ...Burt out grates yearly and the door after second yr was so warped could not get a tight seal..so I made my own used 1/4 angle and plate stopped warping ..I would have felt a little better if it lasted me at least 10 yrs instead of 4 or 5. I just installed the acme seems to be heating the house great very warm just can't get more than 7 hrs burn time so that's a little disheartening being that the other one only gave me 5 hrs..
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:40 AM »

Scott it was little power house boiler the firewall is made of 16 gauge steel all I did was throw a large log in it hitting the back of the furnace and it ruptured.. All in all it did a great job heating for a little boiler just very light weight metal used on all the parts ...Burt out grates yearly and the door after second yr was so warped could not get a tight seal..so I made my own used 1/4 angle and plate stopped warping ..I would have felt a little better if it lasted me at least 10 yrs instead of 4 or 5. I just installed the acme seems to be heating the house great very warm just can't get more than 7 hrs burn time so that's a little disheartening being that the other one only gave me 5 hrs..

How big is your house? Does it have good insulation? Was just wondering... 7 hours is not good.

I have my "aquastat" set to about 165-170 degrees.

It was in the single digits and is about 10* outside now. I got 10.5 hours of burn time last night and still had some wood left this morning. Two showers this morning before I put more wood in this morning too.

I did fill it pretty full last evening! Thru a couple of green pieces in there too. I used about 4" round and about 3' long oak pieces.

If I use the split 20" long pieces I used for my indoor buck stove, I will not give me good burn times! Probably about the 7 hours you were saying.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:47:48 AM by sizmo »

aries9245

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 07:03:45 AM »

The house has decent insulation but my pieces are not over 250 my splitter will not split them that size max length is 25" so as you said that might be my problem I will have try getting longer pieces ..A friend of mine has a small scale lumber mill he has plenty of hardwood trimmings off full length logs that are any ware from 6-8" thick I'll go get a load this weekend and try ..Also I noticed if the wood is not right over grate it does get up to temp
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 08:29:07 AM »

The house has decent insulation but my pieces are not over 250 my splitter will not split them that size max length is 25" so as you said that might be my problem I will have try getting longer pieces ..A friend of mine has a small scale lumber mill he has plenty of hardwood trimmings off full length logs that are any ware from 6-8" thick I'll go get a load this weekend and try ..Also I noticed if the wood is not right over grate it does get up to temp

I make sure the grate is covered with wood, and behind the grate has some wood too when reloading. I have been using about 3' to 4" lengths of wood when possible and this helps a bunch too.

When I reload I rake the ashes/coals over the grate and reload it with wood. Gets the fire ripping fast!

aries9245

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 05:22:51 AM »

I have a question for you guys with more experience .. Does the fact that I have a continuous draw on the boiler ? Let me explain my old unit needed to have my not only loop to exchanger continually pumping but I also had to have something drawing heat out of the furnace so I did not over shoot, so my radiant heat is always going through the exchanger drawing heat out of it does that make any sense? How is yours piped any suggestions would help me greatly I'm getting plenty of heat just not long burn times.. Also Scott had mentioned the longer pieces of wood might help
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws

MALACHI 4:1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ACME
  • OWF Model: 235
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 05:18:33 AM »

I was getting ready to add a shutoff switch to blower to my acme 235.  There have been a few close calls.  But yesterday morning was the final straw for me and this acme furnace.  The chimney clogged up so bad I could hardly get the 2x4 out of it.  The sad part is I'm burning seasoned wood and a coal mix and the furnace has been running hard this winter!  They put me in this unit because the 340 was "not running enough".  It's my opinion that it is a poor design.  Im upgrading to another brand before I get hurt.
This furnace is for sale in central il if anyone is interested.  Only two years old.  I have two doors, and paint for front of unit where it is burnt from not having a shutoff switch.  There are also quite a few dings in chimney from hitting with sledge to keep it opened up, but nothing major.  Any ideas on what a two year old acme 235 is worth?  May consider letting 2x4 and ladder go with.  :)

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 07:09:57 AM »

I was getting ready to add a shutoff switch to blower to my acme 235.  There have been a few close calls.  But yesterday morning was the final straw for me and this acme furnace.  The chimney clogged up so bad I could hardly get the 2x4 out of it.  The sad part is I'm burning seasoned wood and a coal mix and the furnace has been running hard this winter!  They put me in this unit because the 340 was "not running enough".  It's my opinion that it is a poor design.  Im upgrading to another brand before I get hurt.
This furnace is for sale in central il if anyone is interested.  Only two years old.  I have two doors, and paint for front of unit where it is burnt from not having a shutoff switch.  There are also quite a few dings in chimney from hitting with sledge to keep it opened up, but nothing major.  Any ideas on what a two year old acme 235 is worth?  May consider letting 2x4 and ladder go with.  :)

Sorry to hear you are having trouble! Yes I added a blower shutoff switch to the front of my 340. I switch it off when reloading. I'm wondering why your chimney is clogging. I've been burning some green wood in mine along with seasoned wood. My chimney is still 100% open. I too had to replace the gasket on the door already. I used a better rope gasket with graphite and coated it with high temp RTV silicone. It is working much better than the gasket that came with the stove.

If you are going to sell it, I would knock off $1000 from your purchase price. That would be a great deal for someone.
Pages: 1 [2]