Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: PTO driven splitter?  (Read 4312 times)

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
PTO driven splitter?
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:59:21 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good PTO driven log splitter?  I'd like to be able to do up to 20-24" length logs with around 22-27 tons of pressure.  I'd be getting this as an alternative to a stand-along splitter... so it'd need to be cheaper or at least the same price as a comparable stand-alone in order for it to be a worthwhile purchase.

Currently, I split it all by hand with the Fiskars X-27, so it'd be hard to put that down for a cheap splitter; I need something that is more time effective.

PTO is driving by a Kubota L2501 if that helps for the selection process.
Husqvarna - Rancher 460, 18"
28 Ton Splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: PTO driven splitter?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:03:25 PM »

Are you actually referring to a cone style splitter that runs off your PTO at an idle, or a i beam type that runs the hydraulic pump off the PTO?

I’m not familiar with Kubota’s at all, doesn’t it have hydraulic outlets?

My cousin did have a three point kelly log splitter that you locked the hydraulic lever on the tractor then used the valve on the splitter to control the ram.

You could buy a three point splitter, then get a PTO pump from Burdens Surplus Center if your Kubota doesn’t have hydraulic remotes.

When I hear PTO splitter I automatically think of one of these:

https://jet.com/product/detail/a5bcd55a0f4d41c69df156434d5e6c53?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_hardware_a1:tools_log_splitters_a1_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=gen_hardware_a1&ds_cid&ds_ag=tools_log_splitters_a1_other&product_id=a5bcd55a0f4d41c69df156434d5e6c53&product_partition_id=163685197740&gclid=CLjGwYzSv8wCFVGAaQodnaUL8g&gclsrc=aw.ds
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:05:03 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »

I have a Timberwolf TW-3 or TW-3HD (can't remember).  The unit is awesome.  Splits about 15 cord a year and have had it for 4-5 years.  It attaches to the PTO easily and has been trouble free.  The best part of it is being able to adjust the height of the unit with the 3-point hitch.  You can set it so you aren't bent over and if you have a big piece you can drop it to the ground and roll the piece on.  They do make an optional log lift but I didn't get it.

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »

Thanks - definitely looking for one similar to what Cabo posted.  Are they reasonably priced? I can get a standard gas powered 22 ton splitter at the local store for around $800.  I'm really hoping to find a similarly priced PTO driven one (with they hydraulic level control on the splitter unit).

Note: PTO is 19 HP @ 540 RPM.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:02:58 PM by Corngrinder »
28 Ton Splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:28 PM »

If you have 19hp at your stub then your looking at a TW-3, the heavier one requires a minimum of 30hp.

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/tw-3-log-splitter/

From what I’ve been able to find, since Timberwolf is more of a professional brand, your gonna pay more than twice the $800 you mentioned for a TW-3.

I could be wrong though, I could actually find a price from aTimberwolf dealer, but prices mentioned on other forums for what people were quoted. Maybe watch Craigslist?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:14:34 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 07:21:23 AM »

I built a 3 pt log splitter that I have been using for several years. Originally I ran it off the tractors remote hyd ports. I really like being able to set the height exactly where I want it and be able to move it anywhere I want to use it easily. A couple years ago I decided that I couldn't see running a 55 hp tractor to power what could run on 8 hp. So I put a motor , pump , and hyd tank on the splitter and made it self powered. Now it has the capabilities of the 3 pt but uses a lot less fuel. Running the tractor at a constant speed for many hours at a time without much load on the engine creates extra wear on the tractor as well. But with that said if I had a failure with the engine or pump I could move a couple hoses and go back to using the tractor remotes. I've never tried any of the new splitters that do vertical and horizontal use , but I can say having split wood since I was a kid with my dad , the 3 pt splitter I have now has been the most versitile design I have used yet.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

Cabo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 03:07:17 PM »

I think you're going to be into around 2K or so for the TW-3.  As I recall thats what it was then and we know what prices have done.  I can say that it's a well built,rugged unit and I've never had to do anything to it,put it on, let the oil circulate to warm(when cold) and off we go.  I've always felt that it's worth it to pay more for quality and have something when you want /need it then to skimp and end up with a POS that you spend time wrenching on.  Just my opinion.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »

I just got a TM splitter for my skid steer! It is built heavy duty ! Splits any thing I put threw it at idle, I payed 2,100 deliverd to my door! Well worth it!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

Cabo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »

Was at a logging show today and got current pricing on Timber Wolf.  TW-3 $2495       TW-3HD $3495 w/ 4-way wedge
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:04:10 AM by Cabo »

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 01:52:10 AM »

After much consideration... of which I've been back and forth a few times.  I think I'm going to opt for a standard log splitter.  The main reasoning is that I value the tractor much higher, and the added hours put on it by splitting wood is not worth the small amount of space and convenience I would save by having a stand-alone unit. I reckon I can replace a broken or worn splitter much cheaper than I can a tractor. :-\

Thanks for all the input
28 Ton Splitter

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 08:18:03 PM »

you can also use the tractor to place wood on the splitter...