Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Earth Woodsman 400  (Read 5960 times)

helmick1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Woodsman 400
    • View Profile
Earth Woodsman 400
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:01:32 AM »

Newbie here. I just installed a Woodsman 400 a little over a month ago, got tired of paying for multiple LP tank refills every winter. So far this stove is great. The only real issue I have had so far is the forced air blower flapper getting stuck, has happened 4 times, but I read another post on here about putting a paper clip on the flapper itself  :thumbup:. We have 5 year old two story home, about 3000 square feet and I have been keeping the temps between 73-78 degrees depinding on how cold it is outside. We live in north central WV and have had a colder than usual start to winter, so I am glad I am burning wood instead of paying for propane. One thing I need to do when it warms up a little is do a better insulation job on my supply lines at the stove and under the house. Right now I just have the foam pipe insulation around the pex and nothing on the pump or the fittings at the pump. What does everyone else use to insulate the pump? Just regular pink fiberglass? Also my forced air blower is set to come on at 155 and go off at 160, Would I get better results bumping up to 175-180 as the shutoff and 160-165 as the low point? Thanks ahead of time for any tips and suggestions!!

scarface77

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 500
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Woodsman 400
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »

Welcome aboard! This is a grate site for info and grate people involved. Made my learning curve easy and enjoyable. Still learning! I have the mountain man 500 and love it!!! Should of done this year's ago. I to will upgrade my underground lines because we got 8 inches of snow in the yard but no snow where the lines are installed. And they are 3 feet underground. But otherwise love the OWB, keeping warm, hot showers, and saving money!!!   ;D  Congratulations and HAPPY BURNING!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:33:52 PM by scarface77 »
Earth Outdoor Wood Furnace Mountain Man 500
Huskee 35 ton log splitter
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw

bajonesy77

• OWF Brand: Prosteel
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »

A larger differential will make for a hotter burning fire which in turn should help with the sticking damper that's being caused mostly by creosote. Try 155 on with 170 off just make sure you have a good coal bed and it will work great.
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar
McCullough timber bear 20" bar

Farmer85

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Rancher 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »

Hello I have a rancher 365 and if the damper door is the same I flip mine every other time I fill the stove. It's easier if the fans not running but it works either way. I stick my finger in there and flip the lid up and let it slam down. It knocks any creosote loose. I usually do it about 2 or 3 times and never had it stick once. My dealer told me to do this and I do it religiously. My door doesn't even get sticky. I worked on a hardy today and you have to take the door off the back and open a trap door and rod out the airway on those every time you clean out the ashes. That makes me feel pretty good about flipping mine.
Sullivan Mo
Earth rancher 365
Stihl ms250,ms260pro,ms290,ms034,ms460
Skidsplitter,gas powered splitter and shiny mall

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »

Roxul is the best batt or loose type insulation you can put on there. It's actually the same stuff cast iron indoor boilers are wrapped with. More R per inch and fire proof. It's also used for fire stop material. Sometimes you will see it in fake fireplace log kits as the red burning embers too. Lowes is now carrying it and so does Menards but it's called mineral wool there. The Roxul brand is way easier to work with and not itchy like the menard brand.
Michigan Thumber