Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fried power supply  (Read 2721 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Fried power supply
« on: November 01, 2019, 12:24:28 PM »

Hey all, Around 3:15 this morning we experienced 3 power surges, the power failed a short time later and the emergency generator took over.  Following CB's online troubleshooting guide and following the schematic printed on the panel where the pump is located, I was able to confirm the power supply had indeed died.  From looking at the power supply I could see where a component had "exploded" and left a black smudge on the protective cage surrounding the power supply and a nice black smudge on the insulation too.  My dealer has a new one coming from CB.  It should be in mid-week next week.  Until then, I have to listen to the oil burner run.  I guess it could be worse.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Fried power supply
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 06:01:48 AM »

It let the smoke out... sorry to hear that!
Had a call yesterday with a scrambled control, I think it's a power surge from Friday nights storm..
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »

Thanks.  Whatever blew and let the smoke out left a hole in the circuit board and a rather impressive burn mark on the protective cage surrounding it.  I'm guessing it was a capacitor, I've never seen a resistor do that before, seen them fry, but never blow a hole in the circuit board.  I'm looking into getting surge protection installed especially for the OWB.  Granted the power supply isn't that expensive (~$40.00) I just don't want to be in the position of shutting her down and having to wait a week for a part to arrive again.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 03:24:08 PM »

Yikes Roger

The idea of running the oil sucks. Are you going to drain it down or leave it? That storm had me worried so I shut the breaker at the house off until It was all over and the power was up and stable. Just started to run it 2 weeks ago, ran the water tests and all is well. 13 cord of wood and two bottles of Ashtrol this year. Hope to only use 7 of the 13 cord and have some for next year, 1.5 cord was left from last year.

Good luck and I hope you are up and running soon.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »

Yikes Roger

The idea of running the oil sucks. Are you going to drain it down or leave it? That storm had me worried so I shut the breaker at the house off until It was all over and the power was up and stable. Just started to run it 2 weeks ago, ran the water tests and all is well. 13 cord of wood and two bottles of Ashtrol this year. Hope to only use 7 of the 13 cord and have some for next year, 1.5 cord was left from last year.

Good luck and I hope you are up and running soon.

Hi Duramax - Yeah, it does suck but I guess it could have been worse.  CB made it easy to troubleshoot with their online troubleshooting guide as well as having the schematic printed on the access panel to where the pump is located.  It was simple to rule out this and that, no guess work.  No, I'm not draining it down, I kept the pump running to keep the water moving from the 550 to the house.  I turned off the wrap around pump in my house, I didn't feel I needed to heat the outdoor water with my oil supply.  Glad to know all is well the 1450.  I have 10 cord in my storage shed but I'll only use 5 1/2 to 6 cord of it.  I always put up more wood than I need for the "just in case" scenario.  That reminds me, I need to get more Ashtrol. 

Thanks for the good wishes.  I'll keep everyone posted as soon as the new power supply is installed and I'm heating the house again with the OWB.

Take care and stay warm this winter.

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 05:35:24 PM »

The new power supply arrived this morning.  I left work to get it from my dealer.  I installed it as soon as I got home and , walla, power is restored.  I made fire and heating the house and DHW with the OWB.  Feels good to have the heat come on and not hear the oil burner running.  I must add that CB made it easy for the home owner change parts.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Radio Tech1964

• OWF Brand: Hawken Energy
  • OWF Model: HE-1100
  • Stihl MS 250 John Deere CS 36 2013
    • View Profile
    • Weather Info
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »

Probably a switching power supply. They don't respond too well to dirty power. Did you have any other damage from this power glitch?
It makes me wonder if there was a neutral lost somewhere in the shuffle.   Anyway glad you had a backup till you could get the part!

Wt

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 02:15:28 PM »

Probably a switching power supply. They don't respond too well to dirty power. Did you have any other damage from this power glitch?
It makes me wonder if there was a neutral lost somewhere in the shuffle.   Anyway glad you had a backup till you could get the part!

Wt

The only issue with the power surge was 2 circuit breakers had tripped, noting else damaged...thankfully.  I'm saving for a surge protector.  I know they won't protect my electronics from all surges but perhaps it'll save me more money in the long run.  The only issue I had with my dealer is he charged me $70.00 for a power supply that I can get online for approximately 1/3 the price.  It is made by Delta Electronics.  I'll be ordering one to have on hand for the "just in case" scenario. 

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Radio Tech1964

• OWF Brand: Hawken Energy
  • OWF Model: HE-1100
  • Stihl MS 250 John Deere CS 36 2013
    • View Profile
    • Weather Info
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 04:44:39 AM »

I totally understand what you mean on the cheaper. With things as they are we all have to save what we can when we can.
We have a lot of problems here with power outages here in the mountains. There is a 3PH circuit feeding the area but that steps down to 34KV 2PH and we are close the tail end with a step down from 34KV to 7200 V. Usually ours just locks out closest recloser but they have switched to the NOVA solid-state units from the old OCR's and we don't get those 2 extra chances at a lock anymore LOL!  Seems like a possum can fart close a pole here and we have an outage it seems :bash:   Got a generator tha will run everything but I keep forgetting to fill up the gas tank :)