Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: owf insurance  (Read 1867 times)

willowbk

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: port/main
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
owf insurance
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »

hey guys
as a new owner of an owf, i was wondering does or has anyone listed there owf on there owners insurance or at least looked into it.  i know most peoples unit is probably free standing in open areas, but i was limited to position and do have some trees in general area, most troublesome ones were cleared, but w/ such a large investment i'm wondering what others have done.  if there was a natural type issue or even say a fire what happens?
thanks for the input.

shorman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: owf insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »

willowbk----------I had a fire in my furnace last winter that damaged it beyond reasonable repair.I knew I would get no help from the manufacturer because they wouldn't even take back a circulator that I bought from them and didn't use.I called my home owner insurance company and they handled the whole deal with no problems.I had an out of pocket loss of about $400 and I installed a new Empyre Pro-200 with the insurance money.-------Best of luck to you.----shorman

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »

You know it's been a long time but I did put the value of the boiler on my homeowners insurance. One other thing I remember was that they do not consider it a wood burning appliance connected to the home as long as it is at least 25' away from the house, that's according to my agent and that was in 04 so you will want to do your own digging around. There has been past threads dealing with this issue, you may want to search for that. GL

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:14:55 AM »

My insurance agent has no clue what he's talking about when I ask him.  He always says "I don't wanna know about it" and that I need to call corprate.  Well, I call corprate and they say I need to ask my agent.  The thing is, if something burns down because of my OWB I want it to be covered!!! I still haven't gotten anywhere with mine.  Good luck!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »

I've seen many posts on this forum about insurance and how these stoves fit in.  The main thing I've found, is that EVERY instance is different.  There were 10 posts and every single one was different.  I don't think the OUTDOOR stoves are common enough for there to have been a standard established.  Indoor ones are common enough to have most agents have a response.  The outdoor ones are still a grey area to most agents.  Example, my agent really didn't know what my OWB was and just responded "follow the manufactures directions."  So, that's what I did and I kept the e-mail. 

Summary advice:  call your agent and ask them specifically and get it in writing!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN