Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: BL 2840 install questions  (Read 2720 times)

Uponthehill

• OWF Brand: PM 2840 w/ Logstor
  • OWF Model: 250 & 461 Stihl
    • View Profile
BL 2840 install questions
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:08:38 AM »

Got the BL set and in place.   Electric done.  Getting ready to enter the house and have plenty of pipe to enter at any height.   I could not go under the footer due to a LARGE rock.  My question is .....  will the Logstor pex bend enough that I could make the desired long sweep 90 ?
If not, I'll use the supplied Logstor adapters and bend me a soft copper 90 as I have not found a refrigerant 90 that, in my opinion, is a true long sweep 90.  Also, my shop fan coil is plumbed with 1/2" copper.  Would it be best to just reduce to 1/2" when I enter the building or should I go for a ways w/ 3/4 copper then to the 1/2" at the fan coil.  I also have been given an Armstrong Model 180200-660 ArmFlo E9B.  I believe it is rated at ~ 35 fpm.  My question is would it hurt anything to use this in my shop as I can reduce the flow with a valve on the fan coil ?  Again, it was gave to me....  Looking to start my radiant floor heat next week.  Going to use 1/2" pex with Ultra Fin.   I've seen where this has been ran perpendicular with the floor joist.  If I do run parallel with the joist can one get by with only running one pass then on to the next joist.   Would two passes with Ultra Fin be overkill, or would even using only pex w/ the "loop" in each joist or two runs be sufficient.   Thanks for any replies.     Uponthehill ....
Central Kentucky wood burner !

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: BL 2840 install questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:02:31 AM »

I could send you a couple of the long Radius 1 inch 90's if you need, I think they are about 8-9 bucks each, I wouldn't try to bend the pex that tight, you aren't going to reduce the main loop to 1/2 inch are you, Please use 2 tees , 1 inch by 1/2 inch and place them one on supply line and the other on return, call me if you don't understand! I think you have my number.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Uponthehill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »

I was looking at pumps and sizing my install.   I contacted a person who sizes hydronic pumps for a living.   Sells Armstrong pumps...   I was not as specific on the phone as below, but roughly he said I would need a pump rated at 10 gpm and 15' head.  The Taco Bumble be is rated at 15/15 respectively.  I am going to plumb my shop on the other side of my 2840 and no Slim, I am not going to reduce the main loop to 1/2".  Had a senior moment.  Thanks for the reply.  I would like to get some of your professional and field proven opinions and recommendations for the configuration below.  There is no drawing, but I think it is explained as it will be routed in the house.  I like Taco due to the Bumblebee's DeltaT design.   I like the idea of a product that monitors the system for you and adjusts itself to optimize your system.     

Main line from OWB to house is 150’ ( 300’ total - supply and return combined ) of 1” I.D. pex buried ~ 3 ft. deep.
As soon as I enter the house I will hit a sidearm or a 20 plate (not sure which one yet...).
My main circulating pump will be just as I enter the house and will be before the DHW sidearm or plate exchanger.
Out of the sidearm to the purchased manifold (not yet chosen) then on to my main cast iron radiator.  This radiator is approximately 4’ wide, 10” deep and 30 inches tall and is  10 to 12’ higher than the OWB.
From the radiator then starts the return line back to the OWB.  Somewhere close proximity to the DWH will be the manifolds which will support 3 zones.
Zone one will heat my laundry and bathroom.  Both have tile floor and will require approximately 300’ of 1/2” pex.  Only one loop back to manifold.
Zone two will heat a room just off the kitchen.  This room is carpeted and will require approx. 330’ of 1/2” pex.        Only one loop back to manifold.
Zone three will heat my kitchen / dining / and foyer.  This is the largest zone and requires approximately 530’ of 1/2” pex.  This zone will have two loops - 265' each.

Pipe size breakdown:
All radiant floor heat will be 1/2” pex.
The line to the main radiator in the foyer will be 3/4” pex.
All other main supply and return manifold mains will be 1” copper.
If I go with a sidearm, I have enough copper to build one.  The 40" tall 2" x 1.25" sidearm will have a #10 gauge copper wire coiled sweated onto the 1.25" pipe.  Any input is appreciated....

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:04:26 AM »

You won't be feeding the cast iron rad all the time will you?

Uponthehill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 03:19:05 AM »

I was thinking of putting a thermostatic valve on the radiator but I am open to any suggestions.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 05:48:28 AM »

I would make that a secondary, closely spaced tee with a circ to control the flow!