Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Put the deposit down  (Read 2669 times)

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
Put the deposit down
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »

Going to be getting a new g200 soon. Just waiting for The Magic Liberty Bus to arrive. It is going to hurt the bank account but from all the positive reviews I think it is a good decision with the company and state rebates available. Looking forward to very little smoke in the yard sometimes it is pretty bad on my end of the road. Anybody that has one will 20 to 22 inch logs work okay in the burn box because that is what I have right now and for 1 more year. I will probably have to re-split some of them but that is no big deal. From what I have read the bigger pieces go on the top and do not rake the coals much just even them out. You fill it about half full and shake the spirals every loading. Any tips for using the small ends and knarly twisted knotty pieces left over from cutting and splitting a load of wood. I used to use them in the fall till it got real cold but form the sounds of it that would not work well with this system. I have a load of wood to cut in the spring just want start out with the right knowledge.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Put the deposit down
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »

I just place the odd pieces, cast offs and unsplittables on top one either side after loading.

20-22 inches will work fine. Firebox length is 30” and they recommend cutting 75% long.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »

22 inch length is actually perfect in my book. Fill the fire box depending on outside temps for the next 12 hours. Depends on your heat load but many days I fill to the bottom of the door.

FrozenMongrel

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 04:29:48 PM »

22 inch length is actually perfect in my book. Fill the fire box depending on outside temps for the next 12 hours. Depends on your heat load but many days I fill to the bottom of the door.

That's about what I've been doing with mine. I've gotten 14+ hours on the warmer days and I'm using dry pine mixed into semi-dry maple. I got all my wood before I bought the g200 so it's random lengths from 16" to 26". It all works, just load it so that it will burn properly from the bottom and you can use the small random chunks too.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:47:21 PM »

Really? That’s what I pretty much do with my 400, was actually talking to another dealer about trading it on a 200 as he kinda needs a 400, my 400 just idles way too much most of the time. When I first installed it last year it actually was a pretty good match, but redid all my plumbing with primary/secondary loops in the basement, this helped flow dramatically, then tightened the shop up considerably trying to keep mosquitos out after the 13” of rain we had in a few days in August. Was planning of 5 or 6 years to get the rest of the windows replaced in the house then won some free ones in a promotion, so between all of the above, the 400 is serious overkill now and pretty sure a G200 would work much better.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 06:30:04 AM »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Now if it would just quit snowing for a few days it would make life simpler.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 07:40:50 AM »

I think everyone has the same concern when they move from a conventional to a gasser. That concern is will it be big enough??? I too was concerned, I was going from a 22 cubic foot firebox down to a 15.  Everyone's heat load is different obviously but I think I could get away with a g100. I would really like to talk to someone running one, just out of curiousity, no interest in downsizing. Last week I didn't put out a load for my wife to load, just told her to put in 6-10 splits. I came home the next day to wood halfway up the door 17 hours after she loaded it. I asked her how much she put in, she said she filled it a little way below the top of the door but could have put probably 5 more splits in!!! I said why???? She said it was cold and loaded it early at 230 pm ::). It was 15 degrees that night and 30 during the day. I ended up loading it at 1130 pm the next night 33 hours later with a thick coal bed left.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 07:46:33 AM »

I ran the G100 at a show this fall, outside air temp of 50 or so, had a 90,000 BTU air handler running on high, a few times the 100 actually caught up and cycled off.  Was burning red elm at 17% moisture.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 08:49:11 AM »

Did you load it full? How long of a run at 90,000 btus? I dont remember if you got in on my conversation about actual btu head load for my house but I was estimating that on most days I am really not using more than 20,000 btus per hour and around 30,000 when it gets sub zero. This is much less than I ever imagined since I have a 24x24 water to air hx in the hydro air box. Old oil furnace that was in the house was 200,000 btus. I have done significant updating since then but WOW. I replaced the old furnace with a 180k btu oil boiler, I think I could have gotten away easily with a 100k btu knowing now what I know!

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »

Didn’t load it full as I wanted it to near as out as possible by the end of the day.

Once the water was up to temp I ran the heat exchanger fan on high all day. I think maybe twice in ten hours it caught up and cycled off.

But this was some really good red elm, dry as a popcorn fart and still hard as a rock, I’d rather burn red elm when I can find it than oak.

Also figure on no matter how good your underground line is, you will still loose a little heat there, I had just enough insulated line to hook it up and it was all above ground.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120