Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: water driping from door  (Read 14046 times)

hddmax66

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
water driping from door
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »

I just fired up my CB 6048 last night and today i noticed water coming from the under the door. is this normal? The front below the door is black from the drips splasing back on it. It was almost 40 out today. Also i was wondering if there is a sure fire way to tell if the pump i have is not under powered. Thanks

Ridgekid

Re: water driping from door
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »

Normal. That's a mix of condensation from a cold boiler start and depending on the dryness of your wood some creosote.

Welcome to the site!

hddmax66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »

Thanks. How long will it do this? Also another question i have is how importaint is it to use a zone valve for my heat exchanger as i have a down draft furnace? Will the constant heat cause any problems?

Ridgekid

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »

Once you you have your boiler hot it should stop. It may come back on warm days if your burning green wood and not getting many burn cycles.

Can't help you with the second part of your question. I do have to ask why a zone valve on a forced air unit? 

gmviso

• OWF Model: CL5036
  • Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:06:17 PM »

Thanks. How long will it do this? Also another question i have is how importaint is it to use a zone valve for my heat exchanger as i have a down draft furnace? Will the constant heat cause any problems?

I installed a three way zone valve on my system (upflow) so that I could run my furnace blower 24x7 if desired, and so that I can still heat my DHW in non heating seasons without introducing heat into my A/C. Some people simply put a manual 3 way valve in to bypass the heat exchanger on the furnace in non-heating seasons.
Central Boiler CL5036

Ridgekid

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »

OK understood. For me it's not something I need or want to do. When winter is over the Green Dragon and I are going on vacation (not together!)

hddmax66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »

I was told that i should use a zone valve to stop the flow thru the heat exchanger when the fan is not runing. It kinda made sence since the exchanger is below the furnace and the heat is always going into the furnace and fan and not just into the vents as a updraft would do. I do know heat + electronics is not good and can shortin the life. Does this make sence? I wonder if anybody with downdraft furnace has experianced this.

gmviso

• Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 05:36:09 AM »

I was told that i should use a zone valve to stop the flow thru the heat exchanger when the fan is not runing. It kinda made sence since the exchanger is below the furnace and the heat is always going into the furnace and fan and not just into the vents as a updraft would do. I do know heat + electronics is not good and can shortin the life. Does this make sence? I wonder if anybody with downdraft furnace has experianced this.
[/quot
Well you are correct that heat rises and will enter your furnace cabinet and affect the electronic components 24x7. However, in spite of the fact that 185 degree water is flowing, without a blower forcing air across the exchanger I don't know how many BTU will be dissapated from the water.

We need a mechanical engineer to calculate or estimate that,

Or if you already have this installed, and it is running without a zone valve bypass you could use a thermometer to check the temp rise in the electronics compartment of your furnace during prolonged periods of your furnace blowere not running.
Central Boiler CL5036

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 07:21:08 AM »

Definatly use a zone valve.  I started without one and the radiant heat is huge.  I could feel heat wafting out the intake vent.  It also wastes a ton of heat.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »

It depends on how the house and duct work are layed out. Most houses don't have a problem running through the heat exchanger all the time.

The best way to tell if your pump is not big enough it see how much temperature drop you are getting when the blower is running. (and hot water running  if you have a plate for DHW)

If you can avoid a zone valve it will give you better water flow. a 1" 3 way zone valve is the same restriction as about 60' of pipe. (probably varies between brands and models)

hddmax66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 01:18:25 PM »

Im still leaking water from my door and its always damp on the bottom ledge of the door opening. I started filling with less wood about what i would need to get through the night. I filled last night with maybe 10 pieces. I checked when i got home at about 2 pm and a good amount of wood is still there and actually was a 50 cent size puddle of water on the botton ledge. I am also noticing rust forming on the bottom ledge. I think this is a serious problem that needs to be fixed. As of right now i do have an oversized unit for my needs. i have a buddy who has the same boiler and is heating about the same and he doesnt have a problem and i think it would be hard to blame the wood because for the first 3 weeks i used wood i got from him that he burns also with no water forming.

MTJAG

• CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »

Im still leaking water from my door and its always damp on the bottom ledge of the door opening. I started filling with less wood about what i would need to get through the night. I filled last night with maybe 10 pieces. I checked when i got home at about 2 pm and a good amount of wood is still there and actually was a 50 cent size puddle of water on the botton ledge. I am also noticing rust forming on the bottom ledge. I think this is a serious problem that needs to be fixed. As of right now i do have an oversized unit for my needs. i have a buddy who has the same boiler and is heating about the same and he doesnt have a problem and i think it would be hard to blame the wood because for the first 3 weeks i used wood i got from him that he burns also with no water forming.
I don't think you have a serious problem.  I've had the same thing happen off and on earlier this year.  I noticed it when I had too much wood in for a light heat load.  Also, the way you load your wood makes a difference.  Are you using split wood or round wood?
Try this:  Next time stir your ashes and coals and pull them to the front lip of your stove.  Depending on how cold outside, put in just 4-5 pieces of wood length-ways just to the back side of your coal/ash pile.  This has all but eliminated my dripping from the bottom of the door.

Another thing you might check is the return water temperature to your boiler.
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »

Hello   Hddmax66

I have a downdraft furnace        I plan on not running my boiler in the non heating season.       But I can tell you this if your heat exchanger is BELOW your   A-coil for your A/C      you need to to valve it off and drain your heat exchanger (make sure all water is out)     because your a -coil will freeze your heat exchanger and you will have a big leak come next winter             Unless you dont have A/C    P.S .       I wouldnt think that the constant heat would hurt the furnace without a zone valve your just heating the heat exchanger for nothing

Jack 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:25:35 PM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »

Unless your AC is low on freon it can't freeze anything. They don't run at temps that low.
I would use the method Yoder mentioned to shut the AC off at something like 38 degrees like he did. If the A coil was putting out air that was below 32 degrees it would freeze up solid from the condensation on it.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 08:50:59 PM »

dripping water from the door...there will always be some moisture escaping from your wood, most of this is evaporated but some always turns back to liquid form and usually russ down the walls and is abasorbed in the ash (at leaston the non gassers)

perhaps your stove sits a little off level and moisture runs towards the door and collects on teh door sill?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2 3