Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: HELP! I hate my SHAVER!  (Read 522120 times)

yoderheating

• View Profile
Re: HELP! I hate my SHAVER!
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:53 AM »

Let us look at this thread.  We have a guy asking for help.

Let 's use a metaphor to explain this thread.

You are walking along and see someone splashing around in a pond screaming for help because they can't swim.

You got guys standing along shore shouting back at him.

They say things like. "Should've learned to swim!"......"Should've stayed out of the water!"....." Hey I know how to swim, how come you don't?"........Hey, I can sell you a floatation jacket!"

Instead of trying help the guy out, they stand back and throw insults.  Some people just feel bigger kicking someone else when they are down, I guess.

Really......come on guys....we all burn with OWBs.  Does it really matter what brand you have?  We should be working together to help each other out, not bashing each other.

It would be easy to pick apart the warranty of Heatmaster but I don't do it.  Because I realize that is someone's livelyhood and it wouldn't be right.

"Can't we all just get along?"
I'm not trying to kick a man when he's down by any means. If you look back over mys posts you will find that I have spent a lot of time giving advice to people using all kinds of furnaces.
 If you have questions or problems with the product I sell or the way I install furnaces, I would love to hear it. It really isn't going to hurt my feelings, in fact I would enjoy talking to you about it.  Feed back is the best way to learn how to improve.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2010, 09:03:07 AM »

Its 6:30 AM and I just put some wood in. The house was warm ALL night. The thermostat and blower mod will happen today if I can get the parts I need. If I cant I.. I will order them.

What a difference, not just in the heat...but in humanity as well.

Pay it  forward indeed.

Hey, wanted to say, when you drill a hole for the drywell, it might be a good idea to have a shop vac there to inhale the metal shavings as you drill.  It would be better to keep them out of the water jacket.

briguy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »

No luck on getting the Ranco today so I ordered one. I will use the shop vac for sure.
Should I have an air bleeder somewhere? I was told to turn valve off and on a number of times and this gets any air out. My father says I should have one at the highest level. The air handler is in the attic and I guess  it would need to be on the return side??

Great metaphor by the way. I was treading water while holding a 5lb brick overhead.

Here is a story that actually happen to me years ago. I learned a valuable lesson from this in which I instill in my children.
I was 19 years old living alone and putting myself through college. I worked 3 jobs, 2 of were on weekends. In the AM I worked in road maintenance which included vehicle maintenance as well. The second job was at a gas station.

A customer came in the gas station and asked if we had diesel fuel, we did not but the truck stop 3 miles up the road did. He looked tired and asked me; which direction? I saw him leave and started to walk. I asked my manager if I could take my break and give the guy a ride. I had an old pontiac grand am but worked well enough to get by. I caught up with the man and he accepted the ride.

We got his fuel and gave him a ride 13 miles back to his "new to him" truck on the interstate! He was from Indiana and we were  in the Poconos (PA).  His truck was full of kids and one worried wife/mother. I stayed there to see if his truck would start and it did not. Now, because I ran out of fuel in my first jobs backhoe before I knew he had to bleed the lines. I found his bleeder, and low in behold, his truck started right up. WE shook hands and back to work I went.

My twin lived with me at the time and he has to take insulin.  I got home, woke up and found out he broke the bottle. Without insurance It was just over $100 for a new bottle.

We scrambled looking for money. I eventually thought to see if I had any money in my glove box and that's when I found the $100 sitting on my passenger car seat. I felt like it was a miracle but the note said THANK YOU for the "miracle"! This changed my life.

My point is this... if a fellow needs to be here to help put food on the table for his family just say what it is and maybe WE Shaver owners can throw him some leads.

Yes, it's that obvious now

Peace to all
I am still in Aw with the amount of warmth my "new" Shaver is producing.

THANKS AGAIN

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »

When I install into an attic unit I put a tee on the return coming out of the coil. Off of the tee run a foot or two of pipe up so it is the highest point in the system. At the top of this put a snifter valve. Any air that gets into the system will collect into the pipe and every once and awhile you can bleed it off.
 One thing to watch is air locking in coils installed into attics or other units that are much higher than the stove. You can actually air lock one side of the coil while the other has water flow through it. This happened to me recently on an attic job. I installed a 20x20 coil in a 2 1/2 ton heat pump but was only getting lukewarm air out of the vents. I found that about half of the heat exchanger was hot and the other half was still cold. After installing a larger pump and bleeding air for a while I was able to get it working properly.
 Good luck and glad to hear its working better for you.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 08:16:05 PM »

Very cool story! It's funny how things work like that.

What Yoder said would probably be best for the attic install.

I have a ball valve on my return line right before it enters the water jacket.   I did the open and close thing to get air out of my lines.

With the air handler in the attic, Yoder's Tee fix seems to be the ticket for your set up.

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2010, 06:40:35 AM »

I have a question,I have my ranco set at 165 deg,kicks on at 160 but since I sealed the dhw lid my temps have creeped into the 180s where it used to go to about 172deg,could this be caused by the  sealing off of that steam the highest Ive caught it is 182.Ive thought about droppig my water temp 5 or 10 deg but it seems to working really well.Oh and my water usage has gone to nil since I sealed that lid. :thumbup:

One more thing when my fan kicks on in the house it will run for 1/2 hr or longer,I have a cheap sliding thermostat(a digital is coming soon) thats really hard to regulate,my fan kicks on at 67 and off at 72,will a digital tstat help with my fan cycle times.Thanks in advance and I hope eveyone has a blessed christmas and a happy new year! 

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2010, 08:34:26 AM »

My Ranco comes on at 145* and off at 150*.   I noticed it creeped a little past that to maybe 155*. Then again I don't look at it very often.

Is it possible you are stiil getting air into the firebox somewhere?

As for the indoor thermostat, I also have a cheap slider.  My blower runs for about 8-10 minutes but it cycles on and off very often.  I'm not sure of the differential setting but it must be only 1*-3* because it cycles on/off constantly.  Even when I look at the little thermometer(cheap/hard to read) on the thermostat, I don't even see a differnce when the blower cycles on/off.  So it must have a pretty tight differential setting.

It could be that your differential is big enough to require the blower to run longer to make up the temp difference.  Maybe your digital will solve that if you can adjust the differential.

This is just my guess as to what it could be.

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »

Greetings Windwalker,after I did my blower mod I noticed that with that intense fire smoke was wiffing out from round the firebox door now it only does this when the blower is running,I really dont want to mess with the seal right now if thats the cause we're gonna have single digits here tommorrow,and its been below norm for more than a month.This unit is pretty much what I expected,but to be honest I thought I would be burnig more wood than I have been.As frigid as its been I been load it every 12 hrs,which I think is pretty darn good,I thought with the blower mod I would use more wood but that doesnt seem to be the case,Im guessing but since oct 1 Ive used bout 2 cords cherry and loucst.(Im pretty sure I spelled that wrong)

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »

Actually if you think about it, most people are running their OWB at 180* anyway.  So if your temp does creep that high, you'll still be OK.

I think the blower mod recovers the water temp quicker and that helps save wood.  Before I did the mod, my blower was running constantly trying to recover the water temp.  That led to more wood being burnt.

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2010, 09:31:54 AM »

Bingo on the water temps sometimes I would see my temps slip into the 130s and my blower would run constantly,Im noticing a lot  warmer temps in the house now that my water stays at a constant temp,and no more dripping creasote mess.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »

My furnace is 70 feet away. The lines are buried 4 feet down and placed in the bubble wrap 4 inch corrugated pipe. My house is a 2000 square foot ranch. The house is 2 years old with 2 x 6 walls with sprayed in insulation  The boiler feeds a hx. When the furnace is fed constantly it has no problem maintaining 70 degrees in below freezing weather. My problem is that I can't possible keep up with it's demand. I just tried to put a dampner in the smoke stack. I hope this helps? Any thoughts? Other thanthe dampner in smoke stack, what else should I do? Forgive me for not having a lot of knowledge on this. I do realize that this might be one of those trial and error projects in which I was told it be.

Thanks for all your help.
I am just a man trying to keep his 3 kids warm!

Glad things are working better for you.  Just wandering if you removed the damper in the stack?  I tried that a couple years ago and it didnt work after I did the blower mod.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »

It seems that sometimes running hotter water temps will help with creosote or sweating problems.
 If your temps don't get above 190 or 200 I wouldn't recommend trying to fix it until you can shut it down in the spring. Trying to seal a door can be a mess while its running. I have customers running furnaces as high as 190 so what you describe should be no problem at all.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2010, 07:44:33 AM »

I wouldn't run the water any higher than you need too. Simply just wasting wood .I'm running water at 146* and off at 148*. You might want to try a programable thermostat to lower temp at night and while your away. Switching pumps to run on demand I believe is a big help. If the door is leaking try a shim and make sure its clean and no junk is in the track. Try a little silicone around the edges too.You should be able to seal it up without replacing it.

I say this because last year I was burning locust ,oak cherry and only making  it 12 hours or so .Always worring a little that it wouldn't be ok after a 12hour shift. This year i can go way over 24 hours between fills and i  haven't used a stick of locust yet. It s been in the high teens and low 20's at night here. Burning 90% pine and a little maple. Keep playing with it there might be more for you.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »

Wow 24 hrs,that would be nice my tstat in the house is on at 67 and off at 72,this is about as cold as it gets around here  bout 10 in the morn and mid 20s in the day this morn I threw a big round and three splits of cherry on a good bed of coals now I wont see it again til 7pm but I should come home to bed of coals that if I pulled everything in I could prob get another 4hrs out of,now on my off days I tend the fire several times in a day and dont add wood til I absolutely have too,but as of right now I dont think I could do better than bout 16hrs.I gone thru bout 2-3 cords of cherry and elm havent got into the locust yet either.

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »

I would keep trying to make improvements. There's probably more you could do to extend your burn time.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6