Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: the Holy Grail  (Read 4383 times)

Jason

• View Profile
the Holy Grail
« on: February 27, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »

Well, I may just have run across the wood cutter's holy grail.  A buddy of mine from work was out for a drive today when he saw a sign that said "free firewood".  Thinking of me and another coworker who uses a little wood for an indoor burner, he stopped and asked about it. Here the place is a fairly large scale tree service.  He had probably a few hundred tree trunks and branches lying there that he's desperate to move before he gets busy this year.  He said I could use his bobcat to load the truck and if I needed it, one of his one-tons to move it home, along with our one ton.  Then the kicker happened.  He told me to work up a price.  He's going to PAY ME TO TAKE IT!!!  The place is a solid half hour from home so it will take a lot of gas to move it all and I have to get on it here pretty quick, but it'll really be a blessing to get it all.  He probably has 2 years worth sitting on the ground right now, and more is soon to come.  I love it when this kind of thing happens. 

;D
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: the Holy Grail
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »

So....uh.... where exactly is this place.... :o
Hudson, WI

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 04:43:45 PM »

Only in my dreams until this afternoon.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:49:34 PM »

Maybe he will come and help you cut it up and stack it too, maybe even bring the beer ;D
Northern MN

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »

Well, I went for my first load of wood from that tree cutter today.  He loaded our one ton up with his bobcat and I told him I'd be back as quick as I can for the second load.  On the way home the truck (2000 Dodge, 360 w/auto tranny) started stalling on me when it was idling.  It hasn't been running all that great anyway, but that scared me enough to just take my Dakota back to get what I can.  On that first load the owner said if I made an effort to move logs on my own he'd deliver me one load a week in his big tandem dump.  So now I'm going to get a little money for wood that he's going to help me haul home.  I'd say conservatively one of the tandem loads will be about 4 loads on our farm dump.  Once I gat a pile of the wood home I'll post pics.  Probably take a month of spare time to get any ammount here.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 06:07:29 AM »

Jason, you definitely fell into something..good luck.  If only you weren't 4 hours away.
Pomeroy, Ohio

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »

Ok, so here's the latest on this firewood thing I fell into.  I have gotten maybe a half dozen loads so far in my Dakota and one in the farm dump truck.  On my way home with the one ton, it started missing and stalling.  When the mechanic pulled one of the spark plugs, half of it was missing and the cylinder had zero compression.  So that truck will be down for a while.  My Dakota can't haul very much at a time, so the wood pile at the tree service was not shrinking much.  Well, the owner called me the other day and asked if I wanted some wood delivered in his big tandem dump.  We talked about that before but it just hadn't happened yet.  To make a long story short, today was delivery day.  Dad and I headed over there this morning, loaded up the Dakota, and were pleasantly surprised to see that along with the tandem, there was an F550 sitting there full as well.  When I mentioned that 2 loads was a nice surprise, one of the employees said that there was a big single axle dump already full and still in the garage.  In short, I got 3 HUGE loads of wood (mostly pine) today and an almost gauranteed steady flow of wood to follow.  I can get used to this.  :)  I wish some of you guys were closer-we could split and stack and load trucks all day and stock everybody up.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 01:55:02 AM »

Ok, so here's the latest on this firewood thing I fell into.  I have gotten maybe a half dozen loads so far in my Dakota and one in the farm dump truck.  On my way home with the one ton, it started missing and stalling.  When the mechanic pulled one of the spark plugs, half of it was missing and the cylinder had zero compression.  So that truck will be down for a while.  My Dakota can't haul very much at a time, so the wood pile at the tree service was not shrinking much.  Well, the owner called me the other day and asked if I wanted some wood delivered in his big tandem dump.  We talked about that before but it just hadn't happened yet.  To make a long story short, today was delivery day.  Dad and I headed over there this morning, loaded up the Dakota, and were pleasantly surprised to see that along with the tandem, there was an F550 sitting there full as well.  When I mentioned that 2 loads was a nice surprise, one of the employees said that there was a big single axle dump already full and still in the garage.  In short, I got 3 HUGE loads of wood (mostly pine) today and an almost gauranteed steady flow of wood to follow.  I can get used to this.  :)  I wish some of you guys were closer-we could split and stack and load trucks all day and stock everybody up.
Dam near getting weak in the knees

great strike Jason
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada