Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: buying wood  (Read 3114 times)

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
buying wood
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:13:28 AM »

My brother is thinking about buying some wood.  He says he's heard of people buying a semi-load worth of cut logs that they just dump at your location and it's up to you to cut and split them, and because of that, it's pretty cheap.

He says he's heard people get this type of load from these people for real cheap.

Anybody here buy this type of wood or have any idea of how cheap it is.  He lives in Wisconsin and I told him I'd keep my eyes open.
Hudson, WI

dumbodog00

• View Profile
Re: buying wood
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 02:45:30 PM »

The price is really going to depend on what the suppy vs. demand is.  It may not be a cheap as you think though.  Around here in NE Ohio, I have heard of loads going for between $600 and $800 depending on species and size of the truck.  The last couple of years the cost of diesel was making loads more expensive too.

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 05:49:44 PM »

Guy at work says he buys a semi load, 10 cords oak in 8ft. logs for 800 bucks. Not sure where but I don't live to far south of ya. If I can find out details from him I will post.
CB E-Classic 2300

Farmer Blue

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:22:57 PM »

I bought a load of logs for $800. Some was dead ready to burn. Some was a birch that was just taken down this summer and very wet and the majority was pig hickory. I've been told that since the logging business is slow now selling these logs are about as much money as firewood as lumber. The majority was of the diameter that they had to be split in 4th or 6th to get in the door of my Hardy.
Hardy H4
Stihl 290
Homemade splitter on IH 656