Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: domestic heat exchangers  (Read 8876 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
domestic heat exchangers
« on: January 05, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »

why do we all seem to want to add more storage or siphon our tanks full (i was like this when i started) when what our OWB with a good plate exchanger or pool heater type  exchanger (like i built) is actually an "ON DEMAND HEATER"

i shut my valves last night isolating my hot water tank from my exchanger and took a nice long  relaxing shower..i never ran out of hot  water, allthough i did have to adjust the tap a couple of times (i suppose as the temp of the OWB drew down from it high temp to its low) but the water never became uncomfortably cool

now my exchanger is a 50 foot coil of copper pipe inside a 2 foot long pipe  but  i am going to offer a guess that a (remember this is a guess) a 30 plate exchanger would liklley keep up

has any one else  just  bypassed their tank and tried the exchanger they have by it's self??

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: domestic heat exchangers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »

I haven't yet hooked up to my water heater and that's the next step for me.  I never thought of bypassing the big tank and using it "on demand" style...  Gotta pic of your setup so I can see more of what you're talking about...?
Hudson, WI

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:29:20 PM »

here is my exchanger if it works out  and you can see it it is likley in the photo ,,sideways
the top should be the 2two 3/4 feed and return from the boiler pipes and "to the house 1/2 inch domestic line

the 1/2 line by itself is the feed to the exchager from the house supply

also there is a drain plug
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:24:44 AM »

What did it cost you to build this exchanger Willie?

The thin plate exchanger that I have was about $800 5 years ago and I'm pretty sure it would heat on deman too!

:thumbup:

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »

What did it cost you to build this exchanger Willie?

The thin plate exchanger that I have was about $800 5 years ago and I'm pretty sure it would heat on deman too!

:thumbup:

i got the pipe for free at work so i guess when i built it copper was about 1 dollar per foot and i have a 50 foot coil inside  and a few fittings so less than a hundred bucks and this is year 8 for it

i am scrounging around now for parts for a new one...i am thinking of  having one on standby (i have every part on standby..pump...blower..solenoid and this summer i may start a new furnace for my other farm, but who knows maybe i will put it on standby as well (lol)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada