Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Keeping up?  (Read 10223 times)

R W Ohio

• View Profile
Keeping up?
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:53:44 AM »

Is every one's OWB keeping up with the demands on it with this influx of arctic air we are having?
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
Re: Keeping up?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »

So far so good.  I am still getting 12+ hour burns with the single digit temps.  It is also nice to be able to bump up the thermostat without worrying about the propane level.  :thumbup:
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

Dirtslinger

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »

So far so good.  I am still getting 12+ hour burns with the single digit temps.  It is also nice to be able to bump up the thermostat without worrying about the propane level.  :thumbup:
Same with me
It's nice to wave at the propane driver has he goes past the house :)
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:07:42 PM »

Still getting at least 12 hour burns here! :thumbup:
Hudson, WI

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:02:31 PM »

i normally get 12 hours in the real cold but the other night it was -16 F (wind chill) and i got 20 hours..let me explain
i went out just to top up the furnace so i could sleep in..at 8:30 pm i went to top up the old brute and the draft fan was running so i shut it off so as to not force any smoke or sparks out the door when i opened it (always a good thing)  i topped er up good thinking i can sleep in late (gonna have a planned headache in the morn) went back in the house and enjoyed my self, woke up at 8am and plugged in the kettle, an asprin and a coffee sounded good. then the little wife complaine that the house was not warming up much so her nagging sent me out in the cold to check (after i assured her the stove should be good yet) well i got to the stove, no noise (i'm thinking the fan aint running that means everything should be good) i looked at the temp gauge...OH MY GOD, 60 degrees what has happened..i open the door to see that not one bit of wood has burnt...DOH .i forgot to turn the blower fan on after topping up the wood..so  from  8:30 pm till 8:30 am i burnt no wood..i turned on the blower and away she went..i didn't add wood till 4 pm..that was the longest i ever went in the cold weather on one fill but i am real  sure i don't want to do it again! the little woman 1..dad 0, and a headache and more nagging (oh me)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »

I'm thinking six more replacement windows, insulation and siding will help increase my burn time significantly.  Right now I'm feeding the monster full twice and checking/stirring one other time.  My biggest problem is that my thermostat is in the room with all of the mammoth windows (104" x 39") that are leaking air like crazy.  I'm hoping to replace them this year yet but it's going to cost a small fortune.  But hey, the money I'm saving on natural gas is going to buy them..hehe
Pomeroy, Ohio

Dirtslinger

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 04:56:29 AM »

i normally get 12 hours in the real cold but the other night it was -16 F (wind chill) and i got 20 hours..let me explain
i went out just to top up the furnace so i could sleep in..at 8:30 pm i went to top up the old brute and the draft fan was running so i shut it off so as to not force any smoke or sparks out the door when i opened it (always a good thing)  i topped er up good thinking i can sleep in late (gonna have a planned headache in the morn) went back in the house and enjoyed my self, woke up at 8am and plugged in the kettle, an asprin and a coffee sounded good. then the little wife complaine that the house was not warming up much so her nagging sent me out in the cold to check (after i assured her the stove should be good yet) well i got to the stove, no noise (i'm thinking the fan aint running that means everything should be good) i looked at the temp gauge...OH MY GOD, 60 degrees what has happened..i open the door to see that not one bit of wood has burnt...DOH .i forgot to turn the blower fan on after topping up the wood..so  from  8:30 pm till 8:30 am i burnt no wood..i turned on the blower and away she went..i didn't add wood till 4 pm..that was the longest i ever went in the cold weather on one fill but i am real  sure i don't want to do it again! the little woman 1..dad 0, and a headache and more nagging (oh me)
Willie G I did the same damn thing monday night thought something was broke :bash: untill I seen I just had a brain fart fan switch is to close to light hit both of them at same time makes for a great burn time :)
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 05:18:41 AM »

Still getting 12-hour burn-times, but the fans on my furnaces run dam near all the time. It' not suppost to get above 13 degrees today so i raised boiler temp to 185. I had been running at 175. That should help!!!
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

aquathermuser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »

New to the program here so bear with me--Regarding williG--I had done this several times as well - finally said had to do something about it.  I decided on a system of two lights -red and green- wired to the blower switch and pump switch.  I have a on/off switch for both pump and blower.  The red light is hooked up to the blower so when the blower is on the red light is on.  The green light is wired to the blower and the pump so as long as these switches are in the on position the green light is on.  The lights are fashioned from the older style big christmas lights and are placed outside on a mounting plate attached to the soffit so I can see them from the house approx 125 ft. away.  So, if I forget to turn the power to the blower fan back on I can tell instantly.  While in the house I can at any time look out the window and see the lights, and it at least gives me peace of mind that the system is on.  If only the green light is on, it means there is power  to both the pump and the blower.  If the green light and red light is on, that tells me there is power to both but also that the blower is actually running.  We first tried two small led lights from radio shack but couldnt see them during the day and sometimes hard to see at night.  The existing system cost nothing as we had all the scrap wires and such laying around. 

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »

I haven't been making it quite 12 hours but in all fairness I'm burning some really bad wood right now.  If I was burning all good, seasoned hardwood I'd bet I still make 12 hours but I'm getting rid of some big old brutes we cut out of my yard about 5 years ago.  They've just been laying there since on the edge of a hay field so of course they're getting a bit powdery in the middle.  They were rotten up the center to start with, too-that's why we dropped them in the first place.  So I mix some of that with some good seasoned oak and fill er up 3 times a day.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA