Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Big advantages with a storage tank?  (Read 8058 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Big advantages with a storage tank?
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »

Is there a big advantage to having a storage tank in the system? its not something I would do right now but maybe down the road if its really worth it.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

ckbetz

• View Profile
Re: Big advantages with a storage tank?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:40 PM »

I stuck an old 50 gallon water heater in my system so the hot water came in the top and return entered into the bottom (if I remember right) to see if it would help give me some burn times and reduce the shock to the OWB when the cooler water returned back to it.  I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever.  So I took it out and didn't try much else. 
Pomeroy, Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 06:04:18 PM »

Airforce, i am not sure if adding a small tank will let you see much of  a difference, and i am not really sure you would see a big difference with a big storage tank....however it is my belief that a big storage tank will be more efficient in the event that you would not lose the unburnt btu's going out the stack as smoke at all the start up and shut down cycles..then on the other note you may lose more btu's out the stack while your fire is roaring trying to heat all that water

then again if there is no diference and it was all equal i also think that you would be at least by having one hot fire and avoiding all those start up and shut downs when these types of stoves smoke badly (or so it is stated) that you would at least be burning your wood more "eviromentaly friendly"

i am drawing up plans now for a new stove that would use  a 1200 gal tank....it may nto be in operation for 2 years but i am going to give it a go. i only have my time to invest. i got all my steel at "freebee" cost
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »

I have definately planned on using storage in my future.I won't be instaaling anything for a year or two though.
I think i should be able to increase the time between burns.I think if i can get the furnace to burn for one good long run and bring the storage to temp.I can heat the house for an extended period of timebefore the boiler will need to be reloaded.I am planning on either 2 500 Gallon tanks or 1  1000 Gallon tank.If anything I can have heat for the house if i go away for a few days without firing the boiler everday. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 06:59:34 AM »

Thanks guys. Its something that I'll keep in mind but doesnt sound like anything I will need soon. Thanks for the input!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter