Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Are the OWB dealers like car dealers?  (Read 9826 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Are the OWB dealers like car dealers?
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:42:24 AM »

Does anyone know what kind of profit the OWB dealers make on a unit? I was also wondering if they will work out deals or is the price tag on the furnace what you pay?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

pdboilermaker

• Training Wheels
  • www.princesspetitepoodles.com
    • View Profile
    • Princess Petite Poodles
Re: Are the OWB dealers like car dealers?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:54:05 PM »

Not so much like car dealers my woodmaster guys told me that they make about $500.00 / unit, where they pick up is on the install
Woodmaster 4440, Sthil ms310, Jeep Wrangler to pull home the wood, Noritz tankless water heater, smart car

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:37:06 PM »

My Central Boiler Guy told me $500.00 - $800.00, plus he has to do any warranty work but maybe he charges back for that. From the bids I got it appears they make on the install, an opinion from my expirence only. Good Luck
CB E-Classic 2300

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 05:52:15 PM »

i have no idea really how much they make but i would guess that 10 to 15% of the cost of the stove would be a fair guess....then what ever they can soak you for to deliver and install it

some will deliver free if they are installing and some won't

what ever it is..it aint enough if you happen to sell a lemon and the manufacturer backs out of the warranty like a few have over the years
if you want to be a dealer be prepared to accept the headaches that come with it
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:13:20 AM »

thanks guys. I was just wondering because a friend of mine is going to buy the woodmaster 5500 and im getting the 4400 we just wanted to see if we went in there and bought them both at the same time if they would give us a deal. I should be getting my furnace soon ill let you guys know how the install goes and put some pics on here. Thanks.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »

It is getting to that time of the season where sales may be slower and stocks may be higher.Could be a good time to try to go for a better price.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:35:42 AM »

yeah thats what i was hoping for. Now im really trying to figure out which furnace to buy. I was planning on the woodmaster 4400 but my heating and air guy is trying to talk me into the Hawken. I dont know what to do. He just said the warranty is better and the hawkens use stainless. I am still kind of leaning towards the woodmaster because from what i have read on here they are one of the best and it sounds like i wont have to use the warranty anyway.  Does anyone have any input that would help me out?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

pdboilermaker

• Training Wheels
  • www.princesspetitepoodles.com
    • View Profile
    • Princess Petite Poodles
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »

Most of the things that I have read about Hawkin is that it is good they have a long war. because they seem to break down, rust through etc.  I have a 4400 and it has served me well for 4 years now, although I did have to replace the fan
Woodmaster 4440, Sthil ms310, Jeep Wrangler to pull home the wood, Noritz tankless water heater, smart car

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »

Thats pretty much the same thing I've heard from everyone else. I would much rather buy fans than have to buy a whole new unit. I was reading some posts about Hawkens and one guy didnt have much luck at all with the furnace or the warranty. I think I will just stick with the Woodmaster.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:49:33 PM »

i would not consider electrical parts "warranted items" unless they fail in the first year, the manufaacturer of your stove is likley just passing along the waranty he can get on them...it is the parts  "he' builds that you want a great warranty on

i have a home built stove it is in its 8th winter and i think it was about december i had to add a new solenoid to run the damper and this week i installed a new blower for the air supply....i think ihave done well by these two items

lets face it folks...most warranties have enough loop holes for the manufacturer to escape costs
most furnaces are built to last about 10 to 15 years (just like most other furnaces) sure we all hear stories of someone who has one last much longer (the same with gas and oil stoves as well) but those are the exceptions

most every major appliance you buy has a general life less than 15 years..stoves, fridges,tv,washer etc.
most will go longer but maintenence cost will rise dramatically. these stoves in my opinion are not different

you buy a new oil stove for under 3 grand...now you pay for oil at say  (in a farm house in my area) 2000 to 2500 a year for ten years you have close to 30 grand spent
you buy one of these wood stoves for 10 grand (installed) and burn wood for ten years that you cut yourself you probably have well over 20 grand invested with buying of saws and transporting wood and such..some folks maybe more (as in my case)

as in my case i bought a new tractor..a new dump wagon and a winch probably near 50 grand but it is not going out the stack..i know i will not hurt the machinery and likley when i am ready to sell it i will recoupe the same (or close too) the prices i paid.  about hte only thing that will lose value are the chainsaws. i have heated with wood (one way or another) for close to 25 years and i think i can do it for another 10 or 15. cutting wood has always been a 'family affair" for us and we all enjoy the time in the bush together

if i could not have built my own stove i would never have bought one (they are way over priced in my opinion)

those that buy a wood stove to beat the fuel prices  should first consider insulating your home to the maximum first, you may find the heating bill will drop to a "managable" amount to spend  and  not have to consider wood as an alternative...and remember, wood heat deprives you of all those other comforts...never having to be there to fire it..if the power fails for a few days you oil furnace wont freeze...you only have to pay for fuel..not go out and cut it, stack it, or draw it home.

sorry...mid week ramble
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »

Willie:  you bring up some interesting points.  Rambly or not, that post is definately one that anybody considering an OWB should read.

BTW- what kind of tractor did you buy?   :)
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 07:45:05 PM »

i will take some pics when i get a chance..my trailer is here but my winch and tractor are at my "other place" where i cut my wood
i bought a JX75 case with a loader (no bells nor whistles) shuttle shift (less to go wrong)

i figue i am putting about 150 hours a year only on the thing, it will last a lifetime and still likley  be worth near what i paid when i want to sell it (but my sons will likley want it)

i use the loader to move material around the shop and some at my home place for my wifes strawberriy business
my wagon is a 5 ton electric over hydraulic dump with springs and highway tires

and i have a 6000 pound wood winch

couple of sthill saws and wife and sons that love the bush
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »

The pics in my gallery on this forum show our Deere 6403.  We've had it for just over a year and it was almost 2 when we bought it.  It's pretty plain, too.  Bells and whistles just break.  We have pallet forks, a bale spear, and a material bucket for the loader.  The other "horses in the stable" are a '43 Farmall H, a '49 Farmall M, a Farmall 656 Diesel, and a Farmall 806 Diesel.  Right now the M is the only one that runs normally besides the Deere-the others have varying degrees of issues, mostly from us not having time to fix the little stuff.  The 656 needs a clutch and some hydraulic work, but it should be up and running soon- we need it to pull the corn planter.

I could talk tractors all day.  :)
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA