Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Summerizing  (Read 6091 times)

Jason

• View Profile
Summerizing
« on: May 22, 2009, 08:14:26 PM »

What do you guys usually do to summerize your setups?  I usually just shut the power off and throw a bucket over the stack but I have grander plans for this summer.  Of course, it's memorial day weekend and we still have oats and corn to plant and we haven't made a bale of hay yet, but I can dream...

I think I need grates.  Mine are warping a little.  They're still working fine-I just would rather change them now when the furnace is cold and the house is warm than in the winter when just the opposite is the case.  I want to find some type of rain cap and I might replace the gasket rope around the doors and the gasket on the door for the blower fan.  But really that's about it.  Oh, and I need a new baffle for under the stack but I'll probably make that myself.  It's just a small piece of stainless bent up on both ends.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
Re: Summerizing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 10:18:14 PM »

To summerize my woodmaster 4400
  • Cleaned out all the ashes
  • Burned a quick cardboard fire
  • With all the creosote hot I scraped off as much as I could
  • Shop-Vac'd out all the loose and remaing ash and cresote
  • Rubbed in some used motor oil in all the places I could get to in the firebox
  • Drained and re-filled, added water treatment
  • Sealed the chimney, with the original cap

Took a couple hours to complete.
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »

That's a good idea with the motor oil.  I'll have to try that.  I need to de-creosote my firebox/stack, too.  I just looked in the stack the other day and it's pretty bad what with all the pine I burn.  Lots o scraping to be done.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:15:59 AM »

For what it's worth. I read somewhere's that you should leave the circulator on, otherwise corrision can take place in tight corner area's of the stove. Some chemical reaction takes place. If you have a three speed pump, you could probaly just leave it on low. That's like 41 watts.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:36:43 AM by charlie »
woodmaster 434 since 2002, 612 gal. storage stss; super splitt;stihl ms360.