Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heat exchanger overheating  (Read 5034 times)

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
Heat exchanger overheating
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »

Has anyone had  the furnace heat exchanger crack because the water to air heat exchanger used with the boiler restricts the air flow through the furnace?  I had a customer tell me some OWB companies recommend the water to air heat exchanger to be mounted on the side of the furnace plenum with its own blower so there are no restrictions in the existing airway.

Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Heat exchanger overheating
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:54:38 PM »

i do not think your exchanger would overheat, it can only get as hot as the furnace, however i have heard of problems with the homes original furnace not working properly because of the OWB exchanger being installed in the furnace plenum causing an air flow restriction that the homes furnace reconizes as trouble and shuts down or sets off a warning of some sort

i installed mine in the "feed side" of my furnace right after the filters. i have never had a problem..."yet"
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 05:50:43 AM »

Thanks for the insite willieG.  It sounds like a trial and error situation.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »

I have mine mounted directly above the furnace in the air plenum.  It sits above the coil for the A/C.  There is some flow restriction, but not enough to cause an issue now.
I was having another problem with the entire heating/cooling system and used to remove the exchanger, but don't any longer.  Basically, when we had the house built, the HVAC people were ignorant.  The 2nd floor was hot in summer and cold in winter.  The problem has now been fixed by another company.