Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Auquastat  (Read 3410 times)

anightd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Auquastat
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:52:55 PM »

What does the Auquastat do for the unit other than regulate when a fan or damper is open or closed?

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
Re: Auquastat
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 05:47:17 AM »

The aquastat controls the temperature of the water in the boiler by supplying power to the damper and blower when the water temperature drops below the set point.  Most aquastats have a 5 degree swing so if the set point for the aqua stat is at 160F and the actual water tem is at 155F the aquastat will supply power to the damper and the blower until the actual water rises back up to 160F.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 06:46:50 AM »

I'm using a Honeywell Aquastat on my OWB, and have the water temp set at a max of 140 degrees (for now).  I have the differential on the aquastat set to 15 degrees. 

NOW FOR OPINIONS:   What differential is everyone using?  Is a smaller differential better,,,, i.e. kick on more often, and for less time each cycle??  OR,,,,,a larger differential  making the draft fan run longer, but less often??

I thought I might try a few different settings and see if the wood usage is better.  Loading 2 times a day fairly full with temps. this morning at 14 here in western WV.  I am finding that the larger the wood I can get in it,,, the longer it lasts.  I know the weight of the wood is the key factor here, but it is hard to load a full load of smaller wood that will weigh as much as a couple large pieces. 

I bought a moisture meter, and most of my wood is in the low 20 percent moisture.  An occasional in the teens, and an occasional in the low 30 percent range.
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

maine owb

• ASPEN 175 in Full Operation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »

My boiler comes on when the temperature drops 10 degrees below the set temperature, this is a factory setting, i can adjust the set temperature of the boiler water but not the differential, it works very well for me.