Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: PM rusted out heat exchanger  (Read 2860 times)

Ritchie Gilby

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: ML-40
    • View Profile
PM rusted out heat exchanger
« on: May 21, 2013, 06:22:20 AM »

Hi all
New to the forum, curious if anyone has had issues with their PM heat exchanger rusting out, I'm in Nova Scotia and used the furnace 5 years without problems
But it is rusted bad, looks like Swiss cheese, and I'm getting the run around from Brian at Heatsmart
Also there have been several others in my area (atlantic canada) who have had issues and have to fight with him to honor the warranty
He wants me to upgrade to a "new furnace" the BL but it still has the same heat exchanger
He will supply me with a new heat exchanger but won't cover the welding, which he did for a friend, cost 2000 dollars to have it installed
My issue is that I could be in the same situation in 5 more years
And the furnace is cleaned regularly, also filled with treated, domestic water, ph has been checked regularly

morganharrisville

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main Optimzer 450
  • OWF Model: same
    • View Profile
Re: PM rusted out heat exchanger
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »

Sorry about your nightmare. Brian needs to step up and take care of the customers that believed in his marketing "The Best Warranty in the Industry". Good Luck.

xTonyCRx

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: PM25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:27:51 AM »

I had the same issue just before winter last year.  The corrosion was pretty significant right where the insulation cladding meets the outside of the HX inspection door on the front. It was through wall but I was lucky because it was in between the cladding and the water jacket so it did not leak.   I ended up patching it up myself because I needed the heat and the only option was to get a new HX from PM.   This summer during my post season cleaning i found the same degradation at the rear of the stove visible through the access door.  Again it is a pin hole that is not leaking.   I clean my stove at minimum every week.  It was installed in 2008.  I'm filing a warranty claim this time...

A neighbor who also installed his PM in 2008 has significant leaks inside the heat exchanger. 

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:13:16 AM »

I would like to know a bit more about the problems that you folks are having with the ML series boilers, I sell and service for PM here in maine and have never sold any of those units as they are not EPA approved so I am not that familiar with them, can you tell me what sizes, what the heat load is, your opinion of the boiler up to now, as far as upgradeing to the BL series I don't think I would hesitate a second as I like what I have seen with the BL series so far, as far as Brian running you folks around,try and understand his situation as well, I personnally have been lied to on several occasions by customers that did not follow through with the required maintenance and then blamed a failure on the manufacturer, not saying that you folks are not telling the truth but there certainly have been people in the past that have, he is simply trying to get to the bottom of the issue, show him honest respect and it will be returned, if you can't see eye to eye with him then PM me with your contact info and we can talk, maybe I can help
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.