Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Temp monitoring plans  (Read 25593 times)

Ridgekid

Temp monitoring plans
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »

I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy this: http://www.controlbyweb.com/x300/

I know this is extreme, but I think it's a creative project to see what my heat load really is. Might even be educational for others.

It can take up to 8 probes and I already found a PoE splitter. So I saved $40 there. I already ran a Cat5 cable from my router to my Utility room where I will mount the Temp module.

Here's a outline of my system: http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=159

You can see where I plan to put all 8 sensors. I plan to group them as "systems" Air, OWB Temps and DHW temps. I wish I knew what kind of software or "code" I would need to write in order to make all the temps show up on my outline. Anyone know what I would need?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Temp monitoring plans
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »

Are you going to have it control the boiler too or just monitor temperatures?

Have you looked at the Wel monitor? I really like their setup but it is more expensive. It can monitor power usage and other stuff too though.
http://www.ourcoolhouse.com/monitor/monitor.htm

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

Oh my! Can't wait till u have it up and running. It's just what i was wanting.  :thumbup:
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »

That will be a great research and learning tool! :thumbup:
That would be so cool to be able to watch what is going on at all different points.Then be able to find spots in your system to improve upon.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »

RSI-

I'm only wanting to monitor the 8 Temp sensors on my Chart. That's a very nice system you linked in there. Also pricey.

The temp module I'm looking at is a server. Do you think there is a way to access the "sensors" IP address\sensor address and link them on my graph? Does anyone know?

Jod d and Jackel440- Thanks for the feedback. It only took a month to get my webcams going, so I might have this project done by Christmas. 

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:06 PM »

I don't really know anything about programming.
I have talked to a PHP programmer and he gave me an estimate of $2000 to do what I wanted for a single sensor unit.

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 07:14:16 AM »

I made a panel using 6 dig. panel meters with K type thermocouples to check the temps. leaving the OWB, entering the indoor furnace room, leaving the side arm, and leaving the HX going back to the OWB. Also chech the indoor furnace supply and return air temps. I also have a wire from the aquastat to a lamp on the panel to show when the inducer fan is on.
I can't get the pictures to load, but I will keep trying.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:24:14 AM by R W Ohio »
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 07:39:54 AM »

I made a panel using 6 dig. panel meters with K type thermocouples to check the temps. leaving the OWB, entering the indoor furnace room, leaving the side arm, and leaving the HX going back to the OWB. Also chech the indoor furnace supply and return air temps. I also have a wire from the aquastat to a lamp on the panel to show when the inducer fan is on.
I would be interested in seeing those pictures if you can get them working
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Ridgekid

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 08:12:28 AM »

Stayed up late last night  reading the free owners manual for the Temp module. Found out it was Modbus capable. I know a little bit about "hosts" and "Addressing". Just not sure what kind of software I would need to "see" those addresses. Wonder if it would work with Microsoft publisher?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 08:18:53 AM »

Is everything close together? Thermocouples are very sensitive to wire changes.

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »

RSI,
The picture that I have on the computer shows the temp at the OWB outlet at 168.5°F and the temp at the furnace room entrance is 168.3°F. the temp leaving the side arm is 166.8°F the temp leaving the HX is 163.7°F. I did have to adj. the meters to the differant thermocouples because they were not all the same. The best way that I found to callibrate was to check by using ice water. And it was a pain to get them to the 10th. of a degree. Also in the picture the neon lamp is lit,  showing that the OWB induction fan is on.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:24:54 AM by R W Ohio »
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

Ridgekid

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 02:41:25 PM »

Two stages of project complete:
1. The PoE splitter is mounted and Ethernet cables have connectors on them.
2. Ordered the Temp module.

Once I get the temp probes I have to get them all connected with the fewest number of cables. That means soldering and heat shrink. Then I'll boot up the module and make sure each sensor is configured to the right sensing port. Once that's complete I'll share what I have.

Then I'll get to work in getting those sensing ports connected to my outline of my system. I expect that will take longer.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »

RSI,
The picture that I have on the computer shows the temp at the OWB outlet at 168.5°F and the temp at the furnace room entrance is 168.3°F. the temp leaving the side arm is 166.8°F the temp leaving the HX is 163.7°F. I did have to adj. the meters to the differant thermocouples because they were not all the same. The best way that I found to callibrate was to check by using ice water. And it was a pain to get them to the 10th. of a degree. Also in the picture the neon lamp is lit,  showing that the OWB induction fan is on.
Here is your picture.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »

I don't think I got that. I got a second email that looked like it was the first forwarded. Was that pic different?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »

Was that a pre-made panel or did you have to cut all the holes for the displays?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8