Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How are the Empyre boilers running?  (Read 17247 times)

Belknap

• View Profile
How are the Empyre boilers running?
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:08:34 PM »

I started my Pro 400 up the last week of September and it had been going great.  How is everyone else doing?
Gilford NH

Hammersquash

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: 200 ProHS
    • View Profile
Re: How are the Empyre boilers running?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »

My 200pro has been running from Sept 8th to now.

Zone A
- Domestic Hot water
- X-changer in furnace plegnum
- 3 X 200' loops under main floor of house
- Cast Iron Radiator in Great room

Zone B

110,000 BTU dragons breath in 40X80X15 Insulated shop.

My house gets about 9-10 hour burn times on the relatively small firebox a 200 series has.  If I fire up the dragons breath handler I am down to about 5-6 hours burn time.  This is only if the ambient air temp is below -10C.  If it hovers around 0 It keeps up perfectly with 8-10 hour burn times.  I can get 12h times with just the house if I use quality hardwoods. 

For the record I have had only two bridge outs.  And both were my own fault and ignorance on effective stove loading.  Other than that .....

Very fricken happy. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:07:16 AM by Hammersquash »
Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27
2012 F250 King Ranch 6.7 TD

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »

Good so far. Started mine the second week of october. I just fill enough this year to get me by for 10-12 hours. Been working good so far. I only put in about 5 chunks a day. Love the way it just sipps wood. Heating hot water and 1 year old 1500 sqft ranch with full walk out basement and 9 ft tall ceilings in basment and cathedral (sp)? up stairs.

MaverickM23

• OWF Model: Pro 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »

Started my Pro 200 November 1st and its been doing well this is my second year. I had a sticky air box last year from overloading it this year Im loading it for about 8 hour burn times and its working great no flapper getting stuck this year so far. Getting some water at the lower door but I think my gaskets need replaced I can see smoke coming out of the loading door at times, not alot but enough I think that it needs replaced, any you guys try replacing gasket while the stove is running? Im running the stove at 184 with a 5.5 degree swing what temps are you other guys running?

Hammersquash

• OWF Model: 200 ProHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »

I am running mine 180/170on.  Seems to be working for me..

Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27
2012 F250 King Ranch 6.7 TD

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »

I am running my Pro 400 at 180 with 5 degree differential.  I asked the factory about bumping it up to 185 or 190 and the recommended not going over 180.  Not sure why.  In the fall I would get a few drips of water out the door but I just think it was from not having to run much.  I am also seeing some smoke around my door at time.  I think I might try putting more silicone on the gasket in the spring.
Gilford NH

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »

I am also seening smoke out of my top door at times. I tried adjusting the door without any luck. 170 on and 180 off. 10* diff

MaverickM23

• OWF Model: Pro 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:42:18 AM »

Yeah at times Im getting some smoke out of the bottom of my top door Im going to try some of the gasket already in silicone if I can get it. Just not sure about changing it while the stove is still running. My door is adjusted all the way too.

mustang483

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »

I started my Pro 200 for the season in mid Nov and it's been burning great so far.  Heating 3400 ft2 along and DHW with no trouble getting 16 hour burn time if I need it in SE PA.  This is my 4th year with the stove and I've been running at 180 with 10 degree differential.  I've been leaking smoke from the loading door since early last season.  Adjusting the door didn't seem to help.  I may replace the gasket if it gets too bad but not too much of a problem for now.  My blower motor failed for the first time near the end of last season and I had to repair several broken bricks in the center section of the firebox this year which have pretty much been the extent of my problems.  I have had some issues with creosote blockage of the air inlet channel and have learned to clean that really well after each season.  I figured a 3 year payback when I installed it and it feels good this year to be in the green from a financial perspective.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »

were did you get your replacement fan? Mines starting to make noise.

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »

I usually buy my empyre parts from Ecomfort.  My fan made noise when I first got mine.  check and make sure the set screw is tight on the shaft. Mine loosened up and once tightened it has been fine.
Gilford NH

mustang483

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »

I've purchased all of my parts through Profab.  The 1st fan I purchased was through my local dealer who is no longer in the business and after using that first backup I purchased another direct from Profab.  I'm trying to order some replacement bricks right now from Profab direct and am having some problems so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »

I am thinking I will have to replace some bricks in the spring.  Let me know how you make out.
Gilford NH

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »

It was in the mid 40's today. Is going to get really really cold this week so I decided to clean the boiler really good. Took the fan off the  back and creosote was level with the bottom of the draft door  :o. Took me about a hour to clean out that nasty goo. the draft holes were still open but had just ran all that nasty stuff back into the bottom of the draft box.

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »

I was thinking about pulling my blower off this weekend but ran out of time.  I will do it next weekend.  Let you know what I see.
Gilford NH
Pages: [1] 2 3