Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: homemade wood bouler  (Read 1832 times)

mikemike

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: home made
    • View Profile
homemade wood bouler
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:03:39 AM »

started building my boiler. I am building a fire box 24"wide x 36" tall x 36" deep with a secondary burn at the bottom. im using 8 sch 40 tubes for exaust these pipes will run through the water. I was planning to have the fire box as part of the water chamber. But after talking to some friends I am told that the water should not touch the fire box. we are trying to maintain aprox 180 deg f water temp.with this 180 deg temp the fire box cant get hot enough for the gasification process. So I plan th have the water touching on the back of fire box and also on the bottom around the exaust pipes.than an air chamber on the sides and the top to preheat the air feeding the fire. i was thinking 1/2 -3/4" gap.  this concept sounds good. Has anyone come across this?  any input would be helpful. Thanks

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: homemade wood bouler
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »

Def not how I would do it, u have to use a lot of refractory to get a gasification stove to work properly

If I were ever building my own, I would never attempt a gasser.  If you don't want water touching the firebox, then I'd suggest using refractory and insulation to keep internal temps up and steel cool,
I know a guy on the forum who built a gasser and it has no water around it, just around his hx tubes, his firebox is cool to the touch because its so well insulated with his refractory material

I'm not sure where the ideas come from that water can't be touching the firebox but that's most def not true
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:39:34 PM »

If you want to build a gassifier you need to do a lot more research first. They are like fine art, they take an expert to make them work perfectly. There are furnace companies who have been building for years that still can't make a gassifier that works well. I sold and installed furnaces for 7 years and I wouldn't dream of trying to design one. My advice is if you have limited experience and want to build your own I would keep it as simple as possible and completely forget about a gassifier.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:07:44 AM »

Have you checked out the "Home Made" section of this forum?  More people are starting to build gassifiers.  Here is a link to a member who built his own gassifier and took many pictures of the build as it progressed.

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=642.0
Muskoka, Ont