Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Aspen 175 vs Empyre Pro Series  (Read 16641 times)

teburman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Aspen 175 vs Empyre Pro Series
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »

Does any one know what upgrades/enhancements were made to the Aspen 175 when it was reincarnated as the Empyre Pro Series?

I know the blower motor configuration was changed from solenoid operated damper and vertical motor mount to a weighted flapper and horizontal motor mount. I have this installed on my Aspen and it is performing nicely.

I still have two problems with my Aspen:
1. The openings in the floor of the primary firebox clog up and prevent/restrict air flow to the secondary combustion chamber.
2. There is creosote buildup on the loading door which collects on the door gasket causing it to become stiff which prevents it from getting a good seal.

I would expect that Empyre would have resolved these problems before they remarketed this unit.

Any input on this would be appreciated.
It's a good life if you don't weaken.

Bloomingdale - in the Adirondack Mountains of NY.

teburman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Aspen 175 vs Empyre Pro Series
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »

I did some more research including a visit to an Empyre dealer where I was able to get a close look at the Empyre 200 and compare it to the Aspen 175. As far as I can tell there are only three differences.
1. The blower motor as previously mentioned.
2. The Aspen 175 has four vents between the primary fire box and the secondary fire chamber while the Empyre 200 has two. The total area of the vents is the same in fact the same fire bricks are used just configured differently. I expect the larger vents will be less likely to clog up.
3. The door gasket on the Empyre 200 is treated with high temp silicone while the Aspen 175 uses just the gasket material. The silicone on the door gasket should prevent the creosote from sticking to and contaminating the gasket.

Checkout my album "Aspen 175 vs Empyre Pro 200" for brick and gasket pics.
It's a good life if you don't weaken.

Bloomingdale - in the Adirondack Mountains of NY.

daleperkins

• OWF Brand: greenwood
  • OWF Model: aspen 175
    • View Profile
Re: Aspen 175 vs Empyre Pro Series
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:50:50 AM »

Hi,
Where do I find your album on firebrick configuration for the Aspen 175?  Can't seem to find it on this site.
Thanks,
Dale