Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: whats kind of underground piping should i use??????  (Read 9758 times)

skorpyd

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Code name "Woody"
    • View Profile
Re: whats kind of underground piping should i use??????
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2013, 05:19:46 AM »

I'm finally getting back to finishing and installing my home built OWB.
I bought the 5 wrap from Badger and also bought 6" pvc drain tile to encapsulate it.   I dug the trench 65' house to boiler.   Upon fitting the 5" 5 wrap into the 6" pvc I discovered that I could not get a 45 degree fitting to go through the 5" exterior tile.

I ended up having to cut off about 20 feet of my 5" exterior tile.  Thus I effectively lost my super duper double pipe system.    I am however enclosed in the 6" schedule 40 sewer pipe so I am hoping it is enough protection and insulation.

So if anyone is thinking of doing this,  6" pvc would work with wrapped pipes inside of a 4" tile but if it's a 5" tile you would need to go larger than 6" pvc, and that would probably cost more than the Logstor.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
Re: whats kind of underground piping should i use??????
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »

Slim Jim said it perfect. Never does a permanent install with anything else than logstor. If they won't post specific test data conditions and heat loss , it's not worth the risk. If they were anywhere near as good as their claimed R values, they would be posting all data and then some. Save now and spend more later. S&R lines are the last place to skimp, and you do get what you pay for.
However if you've Learned the hard way about the "fancy wrapped" lines, they still can be salvaged if you want to self insulated the trench. It has to be waterproof period, spray foam is the easiest, but Roxul works well also. I've seen anything from shower pan , the white commercial flat roof. Material and heavy mil plastics to line trench. Spray foam, beads, foam board, PVC, culvert material, whatever could be used of found to work. Many times foam products can be found in the industrial parts of a city being thrown out. 
Depth doesn't matter for a good insulpipe.
Michigan Thumber
Pages: 1 2 [3]