Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Harbor Freight Sharpener  (Read 3319 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
Harbor Freight Sharpener
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:15:09 AM »

Okay,  I just bought a chain sharpener from Harbor freight.  It set up was easy and it simple to use.  My first attempt at sharpening a chain with a grind stone came up a bust.  I don't know if I didn't take enough off or what but it didn't cut well at all.  It felt sharp...??  Can you guys help me out on the details?  How long do you "grind" to get it sharp?  Do you just run the wheel across the tooth for a split second then move on or leave it down for a bit and let it grind?  I'm going to use the same chain and practice on it so I don't mess up multiple chains.  I guess I'm going to keep taking a bit more off each time until I get it right.  My angle and everything is right so that isn't an issue.  What do you guys think?

pennyrilehunter

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Harbor Freight Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:36:06 AM »

Have you checked the depth gauges?  They must be filed down as you file the chain back.  Your chain manufactures should have the specs on how much lower the top of the depth guage should be than the top of the cutting edge.  Easy way to check is to lay a straight edge accross the top of the chain, if the cutting edge and the depth guage are at the same height the cutter won't be removing any wood.

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 06:47:27 AM »

I have the habor freight sharpener as well have had mostly good luck with it so far (got it in Jan).  I normally set the chain so the wheel just brushes it when off then a a half turn or so closer and run the wheel down 2 or three quick times.  I don't let it sit there and grind to try and avoid getting the chain to hot.
North Central Ohio

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »

Hand sharpening is the way to go...Sharpening a chain is not difficult at all...Those chain sharpeners will not even come close to a hand file..I should make a video lol
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:55:33 AM »

Hand sharpening is the way to go...Sharpening a chain is not difficult at all...Those chain sharpeners will not even come close to a hand file..I should make a video lol

Maybe you should....I can't come close by hand compared to the sharpener not to mention the time difference.
North Central Ohio

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 07:50:50 AM »

Folks, one you get the hand sharpening figured out it would take longer to take the chain off and set up than it would to sharpen it by hand.  The truth is that most ppl simply ruin chains with electric sharpeners because there set up wrong or take to much off.  My dad has an electric sharpener and it works well, but it took him a while to get the hang of it
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697