Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wood racks  (Read 2758 times)

Maxnchej

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
Wood racks
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:03:34 PM »

I'm new, only had a own for three months and I'm looking at different designs for firewood racks / sheds, current I just have my wood stacked on the ground or pellets and it is not very organized. I plan to build something in the spring once I have a design. I would like to know what others do.

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
Re: Wood racks
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 06:40:20 PM »

The way you handle,store and move wood depends a lot on your resources. What equipment do you have? How much space do you have? What is your age,physical condition? Do you have any unused,underused buildings?

I'm a farmer, have a 5 acre building site and skidsteer,tractors and other equipment at my disposal. I have a cattle shed that was no longer being used.

When I cut/split wood, it goes on hayracks I have made from old wagon running gears and hog confinement flooring. 3 of these hold 3 1/2 cord each, I have a smaller one that holds about 2 1/3 cords. I let them set in the sun and wind until October then put them in the cattle shed until I need them. I park one next to the stove, under a roof and burn off of it. When empty, I pull another out and start refilling the empty one. This way I get all the airflow thru them and get to keep the snow off until I use them. This system dries the wood as fast as naturally possible, keeps it dry and snow free in the winter and I handle it as little as possible.

Some people use pallets and move them with skidsteer loaders or tractors. Others haul wood in and stack it in sheds near the stove.

Evaluate your resources, use what you have and plan for expansion.
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:22:18 AM »

I have a 30x12 pad next to my OWB i stack my wood neatly and continue to stack during the season using my loader in the process of building a wood shed over the pad to keep out the elements currently using a tarp in a real PITA..
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

rt014

• Training Wheels
  • Essex County, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 08:38:47 AM »

I'm new, only had a own for three months and I'm looking at different designs for firewood racks / sheds, current I just have my wood stacked on the ground or pellets and it is not very organized. I plan to build something in the spring once I have a design. I would like to know what others do.

I've been looking for a plan to build a '4-5 bay cedar pole carport' for storing wood.  I want each 'bay' approximately big enough to park my Toyota Tacoma long bed under.  I figure 3-4 bays filled with wood and one left empty to park under when it snows or other misc. storage. 

If you come across anything like that in your quest please PM/share them.

Thanks in advance.