Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Eight sided wood chamber?????  (Read 4550 times)

Jbuck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Eight sided wood chamber?????
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »

Has anyone actually got to see one of the wood boiler LLC's?  Not sure what the advantage of having an eight sided chamber would be but looks kind of neat.  Just wondering if anyone had firsthand knowledge.

pdboilermaker

• Training Wheels
  • www.princesspetitepoodles.com
    • View Profile
    • Princess Petite Poodles
Re: Eight sided wood chamber?????
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »

Saw one one time in Kokomo, Indiana sitting on a trailer at Lowes.  Heading to install I bet
Woodmaster 4440, Sthil ms310, Jeep Wrangler to pull home the wood, Noritz tankless water heater, smart car

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »

i haven't seen one other than online. as far as the chamber,i bet the company only has a metal brake and no roller. i would think it would be as strong if not stronger then rolled steel.

boyland

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »

Hi this is Blaine from wood boiler.  We used to have our boilers rolled and honestly they are easier to build but we found this shape gaves us better heat transfer and allowed much easier ash removal since the bottom is flat just like the top.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Blaine

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »

Hi this is Blaine from wood boiler.  We used to have our boilers rolled and honestly they are easier to build but we found this shape gaves us better heat transfer and allowed much easier ash removal since the bottom is flat just like the top.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Blaine

i am not an expert on these stoves and i know very little on heat transfer (i like to learn) could you please give a reasonable explanation on how you get more heat transfer our of less surface area. an 8 sided figure where all 8 sides were the same length would take up less area than a circle that touched all the outer points of the 8 sided figure  ??
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

boyland

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »

The majority of the heat transfer is in the top.  A square or flat surface is the best transfer.  This shape gives you larger flat surface for this transfer.  The round simply does not transfer the same  it funnels the heat towards the top center produces a very hot center but the majority of the transfer if funneled to the very top.  The best transfer is a square but provides a horrible self feeding environment, you end up with a  burned out middle and wood left on the sides.  Round provides the best self feeding environment but not as good heat transfer.  So if you combine the 2 you have the possibility of a few shapes, we like the octagon but other shapes will work also. 

We have built various types and shapes this is the fifth generation boiler, I personally have built about every shape I could come up with and we will see additional improvements over time.  But I can say that all our burn chambers will continue to be octagon.

Thanks, Blaine

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 02:51:02 PM »

Thanks for your explanation i am sure many of us on the board have been educated
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:15:31 PM »

somehow i still think they dont have a way to roll. and now i know that when i try to cut round steel i should heat the bottom below the area im trying to cut so that all the heat goes to that area on top!.....ya ..ok

boyland

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »

Take a look at our Gen 4 Heat Plant still listed on the site. We do not make it anymore but it is round.  So yes we can roll them. Oct is better.

But in order to cut production cost we are also bring back a square design for smaller homes.

Thanks, Blaine

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »

Blaine,

I really appreciate you answering questions about your product and participating in our forum.  This is why I wanted to create this forum so people could get good accurate information.  Again thanks!  :thumbup:
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

boyland

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »

I believe we have the finest product on the Market and if anyone has question feel free to ask questions.  I think it is rare that you actually get to talk to the designer of a product and understand the reasoning for the way something is done.

I love reading the forums the ideas and suggestions are great.  We are always trying new things and experimenting. 

Thanks, Blaine