Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: heating pool  (Read 5324 times)

chillyhiker

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood from scott7m
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
heating pool
« on: May 02, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »

Soooo..ive have first year under my belt heating house hot water and garage...when I put in the system I ran pex to the pool to heat that also but im a bit concerned when I see posts about 3 way valves and aquastats and what not... is there a way to just run it similar to how I heat everthing else ? does it have to be so complicated?
stihl chain saws
husky spliter
 trailer for haulin wood.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: heating pool
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »

It doesn't need to be that complicated. I would use an aquastat to protect the boiler though. You can connect the pump to it so it just shuts off the pump when the temperature drops too much.

I would put a bypass at the heat exchanger also. Just 2 ball valves are all that is needed. That way you can adjust the heat load to what the boiler can handle. If you skip the bypass, I would go undersized on the heat exchanger.

Another thing I would do it put it on unions so you can just pull the heat exchanger and take it inside during the winter. You can do without and just winterize it with antifreeze but just removing it should be easier.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 04:53:33 AM »

Be prepared to burn a lot of wood with a pool heater, I did one in southern NH on our 250 gasser, 30,000 gallon pool, all the heat they wanted, he burned 8 cord of wood all winter with his house and shop and when warm weather started he fired up the pool and burned almost 8 cord through the summer for the pool.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

chillyhiker

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood from scott7m
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:23:28 AM »

Ok thanks for the replys and suggestons I think i have a better idea of what I need to do now. thanks
stihl chain saws
husky spliter
 trailer for haulin wood.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 06:41:29 AM »

It doesn't need to be that complicated. I would use an aquastat to protect the boiler though. You can connect the pump to it so it just shuts off the pump when the temperature drops too much.

I would put a bypass at the heat exchanger also. Just 2 ball valves are all that is needed. That way you can adjust the heat load to what the boiler can handle. If you skip the bypass, I would go undersized on the heat exchanger.

Another thing I would do it put it on unions so you can just pull the heat exchanger and take it inside during the winter. You can do without and just winterize it with antifreeze but just removing it should be easier.

I'm helping a friend get heat to her mom and dads pool, one question I do have though, come winter if you completely remove the heat exchanger at the pool do you blow the water lines out from the boiler with compressed air or if you use valves and unions so you still have a complete loop sans HX do you just leave the pump run from the boiler to the pool so the lines don't freeze?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 06:15:36 AM »

I agree with RSI, the reason it sounds complicated is that people have learned that you need to control the water temperature that is going back to the boiler, because a pool is a HUGE BTU load.  If you do not control temperature going back to boiler, you can drop the temperature of the water jacket to a point where condensation forms, which is BAD

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:10:29 PM »

Burn pine in the summer to heat the pools the tree guys would probly drop it of for free they pay to get rid of it!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »

Make sure that you insulate the pool walls as well, above or below ground, doesn't matter, still makes a huge difference. Use 1-2" styrofoam, not bubble wrap
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...