Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Going from classic to eclassic  (Read 2793 times)

newmanab

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
Going from classic to eclassic
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »

I bought a used CB-6048 a couple of years ago, and have been very happy with it. Today i was in an area for work that had a central dealer nearby.  I was amazed at how small the fire box is on the 1450 and 2400 e-series. I load my classic every 12 hrs  with only a 5-6 pieces of wood, do to it being over sized for my application, but couldn't pass up a good deal ::).

I was just curious if anyone has posted a youtube video of weekly cleaning in their e-classics? Looks like there is definitely a little more labor involved compared to what i currently do.

I would some day like to switch to a gasser but i am sure thats a few or many years away.  Just searching for a little feed back.

Currently heating:

1000 sq pole barn with radiant heat.
3000 sq ft house forced air and dhw average insulation

Thanks!

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
Re: Going from classic to eclassic
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »

I bought a used CB-6048 a couple of years ago, and have been very happy with it. Today i was in an area for work that had a central dealer nearby.  I was amazed at how small the fire box is on the 1450 and 2400 e-series. I load my classic every 12 hrs  with only a 5-6 pieces of wood, do to it being over sized for my application, but couldn't pass up a good deal ::).

I was just curious if anyone has posted a youtube video of weekly cleaning in their e-classics? Looks like there is definitely a little more labor involved compared to what i currently do.

I would some day like to switch to a gasser but i am sure thats a few or many years away.  Just searching for a little feed back.

Currently heating:

1000 sq pole barn with radiant heat.
3000 sq ft house forced air and dhw average insulation

Thanks!
Hey newmanab

My house is similar in size to yours  heating with forced air and heating domestic water    I don't have the pole barn wish I did   but I fill mine pretty good and Im getting 16- 18 hrs with the current 10 degree lows and 30 highs     The heat exchanger tubes are a little different between the 2400 and the 1450 as far as the cleaning    but if I do a good cleaning   I can clean the tubes and the firebox in about a half hour and do a pretty good job in that time frame.  Push the ashes to the front of the stove in the reaction chamber every other day takes about a minute   I will clean that area  when I do my weekly cleaning   I do it every weekend but you could make it every two weeks if you had too.    I don't think its bad except when the weather doesn't cooperate        I have the 1450 by the way   I will send you a video if I can this weekend

Jack   
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:02:23 PM »

Hello Newman, I burned a Classic 5648 basically the same size as your Classic 6048 model for 7 years.
I now have their Eclassic 2400. (same size)  Burning 30-40% less wood, which saves me a lot of back work.
I was pretty anal in my maintenance and cleaning of theClassic, as I am about my E2400.
I find the 2400 very easy to operate. It does prefer seasoned wood.
I may spend no more than an extra15 minutes total per week to keep it clean to where I want it.
The end of season clean-up and shut down is where I probably spend and extra hour of cleaning time.
Wood savings is well worth that little time.
Yes the firebox is a smaller, but since it burns less wood, I still get a 24 hour burn even during the coldest winter nights, just as I did in my Classic model.

newmanab

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »

Jack & b-man thanks for the replies, alittle reassurance always helps.  Maybe by the time i get around to purchasing one, the technology will be so far ahead it will clean itself :P.  thanks again and look forward to the video.