Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best type of closet door?  (Read 2609 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Best type of closet door?
« on: April 10, 2019, 08:19:41 PM »

I am replacing the old junk sliders and haven't made of my mind what to use.
I am leaning towards bi-fold but haven't made up my mind yet.

Also, not sure what type to use. I am putting oak panel doors on the room entrances and will have stained oak molding. I really don't want to spend that much on the closet doors so have been thinking either flush oak or panel type that have to be painted.

Just looking for suggesting or hearing if you have some type that you hate.

I have 3 sets to do that are 60" openings.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Best type of closet door?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 03:40:10 PM »

I've had sliders and bifold both in the past, hate them both. My WIC now all have standard 30" raised panel wood doors and I would never go back, personally. I built out an unfinished basement in one of my rental houses last summer, trying to be cheap, used bifolds again in a 40" opening. Literally 1 month later they were torn off the track already. I replaced them with 36" hollow core to match the rest of the doors in the basement (9 of them) and they are kicking ass. The way the sump basket and lift station were situated down there, I had to frame out around them but they were located in the family room so I made it into a 7x3 closet of sorts, with one RH swing and one LH swing door, 32", meeting in the middle to have future service access to each basin/pump. Worked out really nice actually. I'd share pictures but I handed the keys over to the new owners literally the same day I hung the closet doors and didn't take any. SO short story long, unless swing space is an issue, I'd avoid anything on a track unless it's an exposed "barn door" style slider

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:08:57 PM »

I thought about full size doors but the space needed for them to open is a lot larger. These rooms aren't huge so it could be an issue in the future.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »

Te wife wants a “barn door” on her new closet. I was at Lowes and seen a box of hardware for one that had been beat to crap, they marked it down to $59 from $159. I was looking at pre-made “barn doors” and have decided people have lost their minds, up to $900 for a freaking barn door, I don’t have that in our new back door. My cousin finally managed to let my great grandfathers barn fall down, we are going to reclaim some of the siding to built her barn door from, if I can get enough all the new shelves in the office will be built from great grandfathers barn.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:21:58 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

savebigmny

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Cadillac
  • OWF Model: 3600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 01:57:48 PM »

I made my own sliding doors at our previous house from reclaimed boards from the barn on the property that I had an Amish guy rebuild for me.  They were from the haymow floor which was cedar 3/4" thick, about 8" wide ship lap.  They turned out really awesome.  Hopefully this link works, there are a few pictures and one shows the doors.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1235213359955216/

I made all of the doors for the house like that, some were swinging and some sliding depending on conflicts of space.

There are also some pics of the rebuilt barn.  The "haymow" floor is about 13' up because I was going to use the bottom as a shop.  The Amish guy put all of the screws in for the steel with a hand crank drill.  His only power tool was a DeWalt chop saw retrofitted with a Stihl trimmer engine.
Cadillac 3600 OWB
Echo CS-620P saw
Echo SRM2620 trimmer
Bearcat 14HP towable chipper