Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Need advice!!? New BL 3444 leaking!  (Read 5494 times)

rielanem

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL3444
    • View Profile
Need advice!!? New BL 3444 leaking!
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:11:21 AM »

I decided to replace my old leaking Central Boiler CL40 with a Portage and Main BL3444. I finally got it all hooked up on Friday, so I filled it and was getting ready to fire it up. I opened the door and could see dripping water inside the firebox. I crawled inside and there is a hole inside the firebox. It’s way in the back up where the smoke goes into the refractory chamber (not sure if that’s the right term).

I called the dealer and the manufacturer. They both want me to get someone to come weld on it to patch it. The dealer is 2 hours away and I already spent a whole day installing it, so I really don’t want to replace it, but I feel like that would be the best option. I just don’t want to be dealing with this the rest of my life.

Really disappointed and don’t know what to do. Looking for advice from some of you guys who have had Portage and Main boilers. Thanks.

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice!!? New BL 3444 leaking!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:42:28 PM »

Is it an easy fix or is there more involved. I guess its all in how comfortable you are with having a welder find and repair a manufacturing defect.  Seeing how there's never been a fire in it are they open to just swapping you out another stove?
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

stmftr

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 5500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:23:13 PM »

Is this boiler brand new? If so and it were mine I would want it changed out. Im not sure why it is your responsibility to find somebody to repair it if it's new.
Stihl 460
Dolmar 5100

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 07:42:56 PM »

Yeah, a brand new boiler should definitely be replaced on their dime with no questions asked. I've never dealt with the MFG directly, but I've heard really good things about their customer service. I know it sucks to swap it out, but this is likely an issue you'll be dealing with again someday if it doesn't go back to the factory. I'd be fighting them to pay your swap labor too, no reason a guy should have to do it twice

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:08:04 AM »

Agreed, I am a dealer for a different brand, but I thought that's what dealers are all about. We make money selling stoves for this reason. Two hours away is not that far. Brand new unit shouldn't be your worry to fix. But I'm not a P&M dealer so maybe I'm out of place. But I know what expected of dealers in the company I represent. Things like this will happen and it doesn't mean P&M is a bad company because of a slip up, but how it is handled that matters. Keep us posted.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:19:38 AM »

Geez, I don't want to hear any of this!  I just got mine on line yesterday after having it sit around for almost 2 years.  Keep me posted on the customer service outcome you have please.

Mr. Maple

• OWF Brand: Empyre 450-sold,P&M BL 4044- sold,now Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 20000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:07:54 AM »

Where are you located? If it happens to be the same dealer I fought with,good luck,he was as useless as tits on a bull. I see no reason you should have to do anything with this boiler,THEIR MISTAKE,THEIR TIME,THEIR EXPENSE. Don't settle for anything other than a new boiler installed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:55:03 PM by Mr. Maple »

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:45:18 AM »

wow, you shoulld get a new stove plain and simple.  funny how we as consumers spend 10-15k on a new unit and then we have to put.hours of work amd stress into them. sprry to hear about this and i hope they male it right

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »

ANY UPDATES ON THIS SITUATION?????? I HOPE YOU ARE BEING TAKEN CARE OF AND A NEW STOVE IS BEING DROPPED OFF!

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 06:09:11 PM »

did the leak stop???????

rielanem

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »

Sorry for not posting anything sooner, I'm new to the forum and thought I would get emails about people responding.

Thanks for all your responses. I probably should have swapped it out just for my peace of mind, but I ended up just getting it welded on because I already had so much time into installing it. Also, P&M's customer service was very helpful and made me feel comfortable with having it welded on. They noted it in my warranty and promised I would be taken care of in the future if I had any issues with it. By the looks of it, it seems like it was an issue with a machine that cuts the steel. It looked like the machine cut into the steel too far at one point and no one caught it. The welder was pretty confident that I wouldn't have issues with that spot in the future.

I had it welded on Monday this week, filled it up Monday afternoon, and was burning wood shortly after. Its only been 5 days, but so far I've been really happy with burn. It seems like its burning less wood than my Central Boiler, but it hasn't been cold enough to really tell the difference. I'm heating a 5,000 sq foot home and a detached garage with in-floor heat. P&M recommends firing up twice a day and only putting in enough wood to last between fills. I feel like I'm barely putting any wood in and still have plenty of wood left between fills. I'm probably only putting in 1-2 large chunks and a couple smaller pieces each fill. Still learning and getting a feel for it. I checked the ash box this morning, and there really isn't much in there, so I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the burn too. There are mostly coals in the bottom of the firebox, not a lot of ash there either. I have the turn off temp set to 190 and the turn on temp to 180. My return temp is usually around 155 with a gauge I have strapped onto the pipe. I originally had the temperatures set to 185 and 175, but my return temp was a little low.

I do miss a couple things about my Central Boiler: the door size and the outside light. The 3444 has a nice size door, its not small by any means, but I'm just use to having a larger door. I've put some pretty large pieces of wood in the old Central Boiler and it ate them right up. I guess I'll just have to do a little more splitting with this boiler, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either. The outside light isn't really an issue either because I installed a light on a pole right by the boiler, but its just more of a convenience thing.

I was very unsure of my purchase after the leak and was tempted to return the boiler and try a gasser from some other brand. Brian from P&M has made me feel comfortable with the purchase and I do not regret buying it. They obviously covered the cost of the welding, but that was it. I feel like maybe I should have been compensated some other way with some kind of discount for my problems, but as long as they come through for me if I have any issues with that spot in the future I'll be happy. They seem like quality pieces of equipment and I'm really happy that I didn't have to switch to a gasser. Thanks again for your help!

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 12:43:59 AM »

good dealglad you are happy and up amd running

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 07:36:47 AM »

did they reimburse you anything for your troubles??? I meant to ask that before. you would think they would feel terrible and shoot you back a few bucks or at least send you a few years worth of chemical or something. a simple, "whoops, im sorry" is a pretty shoty way of handling something that is brand new and cost over 10k. If I bought a car and brought it home and the fuel tank was leaking and they said, "oh we will just weld it or replace the fuel tank" id tell them to go get bent. LOL

sorry....that's just my feelings. im glad your happy and happy burning!