Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What a night!  (Read 3257 times)

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
What a night!
« on: November 07, 2014, 05:32:17 AM »

Well, I had an eventful night last night.  Went out to check the hot tub chemicals and heard a terrible sound coming from my pumps!  Flipped them off and checked the stove.....boil over.  Still steaming and smoking.  Got my tools and took the fan off the back to find the damper flap stuck open about 1/8" from a piece of debris.  Got it sucked out with the shop vac and put back together and put water back in.  Elapsed time: 1.5 hours.  Temp came down......and kept going down!  Fan wouldn't come on.  Got my phillips screwdriver and my hot wire detector and took off all the covers and checked all my power.  After an hour of checking I found a little disc behind my thermostat that power was entering but not exiting!  Looked up the wiring diagram in my manual.......high limit switch!  Then the stories I read on here came flashing back in my head about Yoder telling others about that switch.  I put everything back together and went to bed.  Got up at 1:30 to check on things and everything was back to normal.  Glad it wasn't sub-freezing out there last night!!

The good out of this, I am now intimately familiar with my electrical components on this stove.  It is much simpler than I thought!  I also, immediately upon returning to the house, ordered a BBQ meat alarm that everyone has been raving about.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

big don

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 3000E
    • View Profile
Re: What a night!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 10:08:51 AM »

Would you kindly shed more light on the BBQ meat alarm you wrote about?  Can you lead me to the info that everyone has been raving about.?  Thank you.  Don

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »

It's called a snap disc up here, it breaks the power connection at it's set point, I like your positive attitude about the learning curve!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 09:25:27 PM »

This is the one I ordered. I'll be putting one probe on each of my two supply lines.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FOCR4UI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1415420569&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40
Thanks slim! I thought that was another name for it!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 03:54:10 AM »

Just in case somebody else has one, it is typically placed externally on the tank and monitors for overheat situations (your hot air furnace has the same style unit), yours was set up to break on temp rise, so it breaks the connection when you go into overheat, the snap discs on the hot air furnaces that many of to have are set up to make on temp rise, this is why, if your rad is placed to close to the snap disc and you have water flowing through the rad all the time, your blower will come on without a call for heat! I have had the ones you use fail in the cold weather and had to bypass them to get the boiler to come back on, it is done by disconnecting the power supply then pulling the wires off the terminals and tying them both together, Please do not leave them jumped out as it is a safety switch and should only be jumped out in an emergency only.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

big don

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 3000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »

Country boy john,  I ordered the maverick unit from amazon today and am wondering how you intend to attach the 2 probes to the supply line?  I have a Heatmastr 3000E and only need 1 probe  since I have only one line. Thanks for any info you may provide.  Don

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 06:44:41 PM »

My plan is to affix it to the first valve after my pumps in the garage. A combination of aluminum tape and insulation is my plan. We'll see if that works.

If I just had one line, I'd put one on the supply and one on the return. Just for monitoring purposes. You really need to affix it to metal for most accurate readings.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

Uponthehill

• OWF Brand: PM 2840 w/ Logstor
  • OWF Model: 250 & 461 Stihl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 06:10:49 AM »

My 2840 is 160' from the house. Is this too far to receive a signal?
Central Kentucky wood burner !

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 06:13:58 AM »

The one I ordered says it's the "long range" version and goes up to 300'.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN